1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need new speaker for combo - dang kids!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kitsapbass, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Well, let me start off by saying I love my kids. Really. I do. Thats the only reason I didn't fly off the handle when I got up this morning after working swing shift til 2 this morning, and find part of my bass stand shoved through the speaker of my SWR workingmans 12 combo, leaving a rip in the speaker about 1/2 inch wide by 1&1/2 inches. I have a rig in storage so it's not really an issue about having a non working system, but this is my at home amp and I'd like to be able to use it. Any suggestions as to a speaker to get for it? I saw Carvin has a 300w 12 on sale for $49 plus shipping, MF has an Eminence Basslite for $79, but I haven't heard either. I also wrote an email to SWR/Fender asking how much a direct replacement would be, but haven't yet gotten a response - so I figured I would try here...

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    From SWR's FAQ:
    Q: Where can I order replacement parts for my SWR?
    A: Replacement parts can be ordered directly from your local SWR retailer or any authorized FMIC Service Center.

for ease, I'd get the real deal, even if it's more expensive than another brand of speaker.

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The T/S parameters of the SWR replacement are designed for
    the box. Go with the factory replacement. SWR referred me to
    a dealer in Chicago to mail order, Music Parts Guru,
    630-521-9170 -Corey

4. My 4 year old put a screwdriver through both my 10's - i replaced them with 300
    watt Eminence's - actually the combo sounds louder than before I think.

5. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    That's what I was thinking, but the problem is SWR changed the box; this is the original style (withj shelf), which they redesigned back in 01...so if I get a speaker from them, it may end up sounding worse because it's not the one the box was designed for...

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would check that when you make the call. There are a
    lot of different replacements used. For axample, my 4x10
    Workingmans used Eminence, but the Goliath used PAS drivers. Each replacement is different.

7. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    It they hit just the cone and not the voice coil, it might be repairable.
    You can get a tube of speaker repair glue for about $8.

8. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    and that's pretty much the plan...getting it reconed should cost about $85 local, so I'll try the glue first...