Need New Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fastplant, Mar 26, 2003.

1. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I have a Trace Elliot 1x15" that I love and an SWR 2x10" that just isn't cutting it. I like the cabniet but the speaker just can't handle the amount of power I want to throw at it. In fact they sound great, but I need more headroom I guess. What would you guys suggest, for a reasonable price, for just the speakers, not cabinet, for 2 10" bass speakers? Thanks!
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A couple of points:-

Headroom has almost nothing to do with speakers. It has more to do with how much power your amp has up it's sleeve.

If you're pushing the speakers too hard to get the volume you need, chances are replacement speakers will not solve the problem and can in fact make things worse. There is a strong relationship between the speaker, the cab, and the porting. Change the speakers and you're throwing that alignment out. Great speakers sound crap in the wrong cab.

If you want to replace the speakers, I suggest you make sure the new ones will work in the volume provided by your cabs. Then I'd be making sure the porting is adjusted to the correct resonant frequency. Also I'd look at getting speakers with a higher efficiency rating.

However, if I were you' I'd sell the cabs and buy better ones. Get a decent 15, and a 4x10 instead of a 2x10. You'll get the volume you want without over-woofing your speakers without treading through the mine-field above.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Cheapest place in the world for Eminence speakers is Be sure to get the e-mail quote, because its frequently HALF of the advertised price . . .
  5. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I have a similar problem with my 4.1 (4x10" w/piezo horn), cabinet being powered my SWR-400.

The cabinet is rated at only 275 watts. The SWR peaks that much power out of one channel alone! It's come down to a choice between running the amp at a nice how output - almost double the impedence of the cabinet, or dialing my gain to almost 50% and the 'master' volume at 1/4??

Frankly, I'd rather have the 500 watts and my cabinet able to support it, than to run one channel at 250 watts...

michael s.
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks, but the 15" I have now sounds great and can handle alot of power so I don't want to get rid of that, the 2x10" is the only option I want, since it's much more portable than a 4x10". I just find that the 15 can handle alot more than the 10"s can and I want to match that. I'll check out those eminence speakers and I'll see how the cab is set up as far as porting and such.
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    That Avatar cab they have on there fits the same specs as my SWR cab, I emailed them for a price and if they would work in it, thanks