1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need New Truss Rod. Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eminor3rd, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    *sigh* I'm bummed out.

Long story short: I had my neck-thru Pedulla Thunderbass set up by a hack from Staten Island (the 'legendary' Mandolin Bros, now recently out of business), and he ruined the truss rod -- maxed it out entirely (the head is sticking out of the neck by over a centimeter, where it wasn't even flush with the opening when I brought it in) and mangle both the end of the rod and the proprietary wrench/key to the point where you can't get any purchase to turn it anyway.

I brought it to a different local (and also supposedly reputable) tech, who confirmed my fear that I need to replace the truss, and then quoted me what I think (and hope) was an exorbitantly high price ($1500). In working order, the bass is realistically probably worth $1800-2000, so I'm hesitant.

I was shocked when I heard the price -- I could have sworn I had heard of that work costing $500-800 before. I Google'd around and found a lot of references to roughly that price, but I'm finding that all the local luthiers' websites say stuff like "onsite quote necessary" when talking about truss replacement. I guess that's fair.

So I've got a few questions:

1. What should this cost, generally, for a neck-thru instrument?
    2. Do you know of any trustworthy luthiers/repairmen within a hundred or so mile of New York City that you'd recommend for the work?
    3. Is there any sort of alternative solution I just don't know about?

Thanks guys.

*sigh*

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I emailed Pedulla about doing the work -- but he won't touch it. Which I understand -- too many variables for a long-distance project.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What has Mike Pedulla said to you about this work?

Eminor3rd likes this.
  3. What it should cost depends on the area. It may legitimately be $1500 there or that may be the “I don’t really want to do this” price. Regardless, it’s a lot of work including, most likely a fret level and crown if not a full refret and finish touchups or, worst case with a neck through, a complete refinish.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You could post in the luthier section. I've seen someone there take on difficult projects.

Eminor3rd likes this.
  5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    They said that it's not a service they offer.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Start by getting a new truss rod and the tool for it. Many dual action rods are removable by removing all the tension from the rod/neck and simply pulling.

8. I had to replace the truss rod in my Rapture a few years ago. My local guy charged me $200, which included a fret dress and leveling.
    He described the procedure to me and indicated that it wasn't really a hard job, you just need to know what you are doing!
    Apparently, the finger board on my Rapture was easily removed with heat and a thin spatula type thing. He replaced the rod with an identical systems that was in the Pedulla and the only way you would know that it was replaced, is a tiny bit of finish loss where the finger board meets the neck.
    I would think that you should be able to get that job done for far less than you have been quoted. It seems to me that the folks you have contacted don't really want to do the work.
    Fishheadjoe

rocknrollmouse likes this.