Need nice affordable 4 striing for slapping.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I wanted this to be my main slap bass along side my 5string schecter.

What do you recommend? I had thoughts on the ergodyne at Americanmusical for 399.00 or even a cirrus on ebay for $700 but no more than that though.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've heard Sadowsky's are amazing, and Jason Newsted plays one, so i'd say get one of those! I haven't heard anything bad about them.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...but Sadowsky's are far from affordable to us great unwashed.

People here generally love the Peavey Cirrus. It's said to be a very versatile bass where you can dial in sizzly slap or reggae-fied booty. Cirrus is Peavey's top of the line bass. Peavey's Fury line is great too. They look, sound, and feel like more expensive basses. And there is plenty of room behind the neck pickup and the neck for slap/pop.

I wouldn't go for an Ergodyne. If you play any outdoor gigs, luthite can become quite brittle when it's cold. If I were to go with an Ibanez for slap, I'd go for a BTB over a Soundgear since the BTB has a wider neck, thus more room for string pops.

Or there is ye olde standard- the Fender Jazz Bass. Made in Mexico Jazzers don't have the most consistent quality control, so you'll have to give each one a good workout. Some are amazing, some are good, some are crud.

The Geddy Lee Jazz bass is a Made in Japan Fender, thus has more consistent quality, and is said to have a good slap tone.

Maybe a MusicMan SUB or an MTD Kingston might suit your slap needs. Those basses only have a single humbucker near the bridge, so you get tons of room to slap/pop.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Dude. Sadowskys are a lot more than 700$.

I wouldn't recommend the ergodyes either. If you want a bass for around 300-700$ that kicks for slap, look at OLP, fender jazzes, or even the SR and SRX ibanez series.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Newstead barely Slaps and Sadowsky's aren't anything close to the price range this cat was talking about...

Get a solid OLP for $179-249... and have chee$e left over for the next bass.
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I swear by my Fender precision for slap-and-pop.
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I would say,

Get the Brice. But if you play MANY OLP musicman copies, I hear that you could find one as good as an actual Stingray or S.U.B. Stingray...

Get that, pop in a new pup and your set.
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    MusicMan SUB or Ibanez SRX. The SRX 400 is surprisingly good. MTD Kingston is another option.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    He said he was willing to spend a maximum of $700. Can definitely do better than Brice in that price range.

10. I had an active 4 string brice at one time but the frets had too much buzzing going on. I might try again.

I see different price ranges on Fender Jazz basses but 1. They look like Rogue Basses 2. With those Jazz PU's can I really get a good punch out of them?
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Good Call, I didnt see the $700 max price, I just saw "Cheap bass"... Anyways..

Lakland 44-01, VERY good bass. OR Lakland 55-01, Same. Great slap tone's.

Other than that I would pick up a MIM Fender (Used, like $200-300) And toss in a pre and new pups.

And there ya go.
  12. daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    G&L Tribute L 2000 anyone?
  13. I know its WAY under $700 but I got a SX SJB-75 to mess around with for slap.. I find it has a REALLY good jazz bass slap sound and its dirt cheap. Slap an active pre on it and some better pickups and I have a feeling it would have a similar sound to a Marcus Miller.
  14. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Used 'Ray perhaps?
  15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    He'd be lucky to find a used ray for $700, $800 however...
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

At the lower end of your range, a Lakland 44-01, a G&L Tribute L2000 or MTD Kingston would be very nice. For a little more, a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee is a real kickin' bass. For $700, a used Cirrus 4 beats them all.
  17. haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    perhaps a used fender marcus miller jazz bass
  18. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Antoher vote for the Geddy.

The Geddy has a great slap tone, for the price it's a great deal.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    HMMMM?$700? For not much more $$ you could get alot more SLAP!!As far as a good slap bass goes, there's not much out there between a $400 bass and a $700 bass, but between a $700 bass and a $1000 bass?!?!? Maybe you should save up a little longer...
  20. Honestly one of the best slap cats I have seen in my life blew me away on an ibanez edb
    ergodyne b is one hell of a slap bass. He had thin guage strings and the tone was to die for. He let me try it on for a bit and the action and playability was there.
    So I say try out that ergodyne you were originally thinking of.