Need nut repair advice on a hairline split nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whitey, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    Please, no minds in the gutter till I'm finished. I noticed about a week ago that my nut is split(ha! ha!) go ahead and laugh, I know you are anyway, It is split right under the G string. It is not cracked in the sense of seeing a gap, just split. Looks like a hairline split directly under the string. It has had no effect on the tuning of the string or the tonal consistency of the string. I would not have even noticed it if I hadn't been inspecting it over real good, which I do pretty often with all my guitars. My question is, will this split grow worse over time eventually causing me trouble? I have contacted the manufacturer and they want me to send it back to them to fix. I just asked if they could send me the replacement nut, they said they would have to do the work themselves. I don't know how hard it would be to buy some kind of universal nut or buy one to match up to the size of this one at a local store and how that may affect the playability or change it some way. I was hopeing to get the factory original equipment replacement sent to me. What should I do? Thanks for the help.
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Don't mess with it - It'll let go just when you don't want it to.
    If the manufacturer wants to fit a new nut - let them! (Who knows - it may even come back with new strings! - mine did)
    I wouldn't advise trying to fit a new nut yourself it can turn into a nightmare. :eek:
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I have to agree with Paul on this one. i once had to replace my nut with a generic one and it was VERY time consuming. I had to sand down the thing to get the right height and file down the grooves myself. It worked fine but in hindsight I should have probably let someone more experienced do the work (at the time I had only been playing for about 2 years). I say let the factory do the work.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I will also suggest you ship it back to the maker. They will give you the best repair service and they typically will give the bass a good look over. you'll likely get it back with new strings as well as a setup.