1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need nut repair advice on a hairline split nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whitey, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    Please, no minds in the gutter till I'm finished. I noticed about a week ago that my nut is split(ha! ha!) go ahead and laugh, I know you are anyway, It is split right under the G string. It is not cracked in the sense of seeing a gap, just split. Looks like a hairline split directly under the string. It has had no effect on the tuning of the string or the tonal consistency of the string. I would not have even noticed it if I hadn't been inspecting it over real good, which I do pretty often with all my guitars. My question is, will this split grow worse over time eventually causing me trouble? I have contacted the manufacturer and they want me to send it back to them to fix. I just asked if they could send me the replacement nut, they said they would have to do the work themselves. I don't know how hard it would be to buy some kind of universal nut or buy one to match up to the size of this one at a local store and how that may affect the playability or change it some way. I was hopeing to get the factory original equipment replacement sent to me. What should I do? Thanks for the help.
    Whitey

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    IMHO,
    Don't mess with it - It'll let go just when you don't want it to.
    If the manufacturer wants to fit a new nut - let them! (Who knows - it may even come back with new strings! - mine did)
    I wouldn't advise trying to fit a new nut yourself it can turn into a nightmare. :eek:

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have to agree with Paul on this one. i once had to replace my nut with a generic one and it was VERY time consuming. I had to sand down the thing to get the right height and file down the grooves myself. It worked fine but in hindsight I should have probably let someone more experienced do the work (at the time I had only been playing for about 2 years). I say let the factory do the work.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I will also suggest you ship it back to the maker. They will give you the best repair service and they typically will give the bass a good look over. you'll likely get it back with new strings as well as a setup.

Chas