Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need oil finish neck and fretboard mtce info

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gander, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    My Peavey USA Millennium has an oil finished maple neck and fretboard that looks like the Music Man necks. Peavey recommends using lemon oil on the neck and fretboard. Is there a better alternative? Thanks for your replies.

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I like the Watco Satin Finishing Wax, which is available at woodworking stores like WoodCraft. It is specially formulated for oil finishes.

You can basically use any number of products for maintaining an oil finish, and lemon oil is a very commonly used product for this purpose.

You can also use caranuba wax, etc. Just make sure you don't use anything that has silicon in it.

Regards,

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply. Applying oil or wax around the tuning machines is a pain. I'm thinking of putting a satin polyurethane finish on the neck and leaving the maple fretboard with the oil finish. Any thoughts on this? Would I have to seal the neck so the polyurethane would adhere? Satin polyurethane is very close to the oil finish I have now in both appearance and feel and would give much better moisture resistance. Thanks again for the help.