1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Onboard Pre Suggestions for Nordstrand Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kris pung, Oct 31, 2006.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I’ve currently have a custom bass w/ Nordstrand Fat Stacks and a Bart 3 band EQ (4 knobs). Although I like the growl it seems to be lacking some highs and clarity. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kris

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hi Kris,
    For a bit more top, I think the Aguilar obp-3 works nicely.
    I should ask though, if you have the pickups wired to a split switch so they can be run in single coil mode. This mode definitely has more top end, and if you're looking for a good slap tone the pickups will still be hum cancelling when they're both on. If you need help with the wiring just let us know. We have a diagram ready to go. Hopefully we'll get the website updated soon and all the wiring information and specs will be available there. We're just too busy filling orders to keep up the site right now, but we're very conscious that it needs to be done.
    Hope that helps.

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    You might try the Glockenklang onboard pre. They have amazing crystal highs, very clear, and dead quiet.

4. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Kris

The bart has a pre shape which boosts some low mid frequencies and cuts some top end frequencies. For greater clarity try the Demeter or Audere, for a bit more bite try the Aggie - the Glock sounds good too I belive (check out the Groove shoppe site as there is one in the GS5 and there are samples on the site).

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Nordstrand + Aguilar = ROCK

6. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I'm kind of leaning towards going to a 4 band EQ w/ the Audre preamp.

Carey, I've got coil taps on both pups and I'm loving the tones in both settings (keep up the good work). With the pups in series you can cut through the loudest guitar mix.

7. I have used the OBP-3 with NJ5F pickups in my Jazz Marcus Miller 5. I ended up using it more with preamp off. The OBP-3 is a bit harsh IMHO.

I recently purchased and installed the Sadowsky preamp with VTC (Vintage Tone Control, a fancy name for passive filter).
    I am very happy with it. It can be turned off by Push/Pull with the VTC still being useable. I also find that the frequency response as well as the frequency boost (only) provided by the Treble/Bass are very nice, musical.
    Definitely a better fit for the NJ5F IMHO.

The Fender MM5 is a ash body with maple neck/fingerboard. It is on the bright side already. The nords add a nice growl while the pre now adds lots of versatility.

:)

8. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    One more thing to add I'm looking for something that’s really quiet. The Bart pre starts getting noisy when you start boasting frequencies especially the treble.