1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need one pedal to do a couple of things...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Oct 31, 2006.

1. I have to finally give in and use effects since I can not easily dial in different sounds for different songs and I am not entirely happy with whay my current amp can do. I would like to find one pedal that can get me these three effects and preferably be simple to use (like and analog pedal and NOT LIKE a huge electronic multieffects pedal). I play in a blues/garage rock band and having "electronic effects" is not the aesthetic that I am going for. Any help would be great...can any of the Sansamp/Tech 21 pedals do these?

I would like to be able to get a:
    1. crunch/overdrive (blues sounding if possible)
    2. delay/tape echo sound
    3. chorus effect

Thanks

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    What about that Yamaha MagicStomp? Folks are raving about it, and the price online is like $80.

3. what about something like the new zoom b series?

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. Or the Bass POD, though it's more expensive vs. the B2.1u...

From the samples I've heard/my exp. w/ the POD, both seem/are great units

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Zoom B2 will do what you are looking for.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Since you're looking for simple stuff, let's be old school and try finding yourself one of these.
    [​IMG]

7. ...as will the new B1! It's tiny and easy to use.

The BDDI from Tech 21 will do overdrive, but if you want one device to do all three (OD, chorus and delay) then you have to go digital, sorry!

8. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Ok you basically will not find an analog unit that will produce those sounds in one easy to use convient package (at least not new, used is a possibility).

If you want something that will give you Dist/Chorus/Delay that is still in production and only want one box then Digital is pretty much all that is available. However if you go this route there is a chance you wont get the exact sound you are looking for (especially in OD/Dist since we are all picky about that)

If you want Analog effects, then you will need to get some idividual boxes (recomended IMO) Since you can get 3 boxes and have each set to the sound you need, plus they sound better and you have more (imediate) control over the effects. Also since you mentioned image as a concern that you didn't want to break, individual boxes seem to get more "scene cred" over multi effects

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Three individual pedals is really the only way to go, IMO.

If you'd like analog stuff...

For starters... I'd suggest an Electro-Harmonix pedal for chorus (like the Small Clone or Nano Clone), or perhaps the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus.

As for blues-style overdrive, the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver (or Para Driver) has an awesome and flexible tube-emulated overdrive effect, and it can get a vintage-style SVT or Fender tube tone, too. It's not completely analog, but it's awesome nevertheless, and is probably the best tube emulator out there.

For delay... I'm not sure what to recommend for an analog delay effect. I'll leave it to the Delay experts to fill you in :D

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    To finish MysticBoo's entry, a Boss DD-3 or a Line6 echo park (depending on what exactly you're looking for) would be the way to go. The Rocktron Red Tsunami might also be the way to go, but you'd have to be willing to switch between chorus and delay as it doesn't allow both at once.

I'm not a multi-effects fan, and I wish there were more multi analog boxes out there, like some of Pigtronix's stuff. I don't think you're going to see any modulation or delay combined with a distortion, people are just too particular about that. Modulations and delays do get put together a fair amount though, but they can be expensive.

11. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    These are all technically digital delay pedals I belive.

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    ..? I didn't say they weren't. And let me change "analog multi-effects" to "analog-ish multi-effects". Like Pigtronix or that pretty Carl Martin box which works on bass...?

13. IF I WERE TO GO WITH THREE PEDALS..THEN A BOSS DD3, A SANSAMP BASS DRIVER, AND A ELECTRO HARMONICS SMALL CLONE WOULD DO THE TRICK?

OTHERWISE i MIGHT TRY TO GET THAT OLD SCHOOL BOSS BOARD

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, that'd be perfect. Be sure to try each one out before you buy them, if you can.

They're all great pedals, regardless! I own a SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver and an EHX Clone Theory (the more flexible version of the Small Clone), and I love them both. As for the DD-3, it's one of the best digital delay pedals out there. I'm not sure if analog or digital delay is your style, but you'll be able to figure it out if you give one a try (most stores carry that pedal).

15. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    The DD-3 is probably the most "analog-sounding" digital delay I've heard. Even similar pedals like the DD-6 sound very "cold" in comparison... I'm not sure why exactly this is, I've heard Boss uses some analog parts in the DD-3 or something.

Good pedal though, you won't be dissapointed.

-Dash

16. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
  17. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    B2

18. Zoom (B2.1u) on, little grasshopper...

19. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Boss ME-50B will do all that. And more.
    Stan