Need online store to buy SWR Fuses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in.spite.of, Oct 24, 2005.

1. in.spite.of

Oct 24, 2005
    Because I'm just that lazy, I need to find an online store to buy fuses for my SWR SM-500 head.

Anybody know of any?

2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Fuses are pretty generic - consider Radio Shack . . . . the old one should be marked for type and capacity.

- Tim
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If no Radio Shack, an Auto store may have them as well.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    which fuses? I thing the SM-500 has some on the speaker outs, possibly...
  5. in.spite.of

Oct 24, 2005
    It's for my SM 500 head. All 3 fuses. I'll hit up Radio Shack. Thanks guys.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Any hardware store should have them too...

Remember...the Voltage rating is as important as the current rating and type (slo-blow vs. fast blow, etc.).

I would hope that Radio Shack wouldn't sell any not UL Listed, but make sure you look for the UL Mark on them. Fuses that are bear the UL Mark are tested periodically to make sure that they still work properly. No, not the same fuse :eyebrow: but samples from the production line...
  7. My early Bass 350 had an internal fuse also wired in series with the power fuse. It was going to be a PITA to replace because SWR used fuses with leads attached to the ends and soldered the leads to the terminals. I replaced this arrangement with an in-line fuse holder from either Radio Shack or an auto parts store and was able to use a readily available fuse.

I did this because my power supply had blown and took out the fuses. Before taking the amp in for service I tried replacing the fuses to verify. The SWR repair tech loved the idea of the fuse holder, saying it always took weeks to get fuses from SWR.

Rick B.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The tech should have known that they could get replacements at any decent electronics supply store.

The fuses with pigtail leads aren't special to SWR, they're just designed for OEMs so users (like us) can't go stuffing a 20A fuse in a fuseholder that should have a 5 amp fuse in it (or what ever). It's the safeguard against someone who will wrap a fuse in aluminum foil to try to finish the gig and then burn up the power transformer in the process...
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My SWR 900 has a 10A on each channel. Very clearly marked,
    and a AC line fuse slo-blo at 8A.

People who put mismatched fuses into expensive and hi-powered amplification devices should not be allowed to use
    or turn them on, and blowing them up usually solves this issue.