need opinion on rogue bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 21, 2001.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hello everybody!

i was loking in the musicians friend catalog and i saw a good deal on those rogue bass amps. they were priced so low, that im not sure if they are of any quality, so i was wondering if you guys could help.

the amps are,

RB-20B (20w, 8" speaker, 39$)

CG-30B (30w, 10" speaker, 79$)

it would be much appreciated if you could tell me if im getting crap!

2. Slick,

I bought a Rogue MG20B for my class to use (MF $39 also). It's held up well under many hours of 8-9 year old use/abuse but it sounds terrible. My first amp was a Hartke B20, also now in my classroom and I'm still amazed at the quality of sound I get from this little box. Comparing the two, the Rogue has no volume, it sounds like the case is made out of tin, and the controls do little to change tone. I don't know how the MG compares to the RB or CG but I wouldn't buy another Rogue without playing it first. I hope this helps.

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Rogue gear in general is the cheapest of the cheap, the crappiest of the crap. If you pay 5 bucks you'll feel like you've been ripped off.
  4. I'd give them 2 thumbs down
  5. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    2 thumbs down here too....

if only I had 3 thumbs........;)
  6. Exactly what everyone else is said. There are much better amps to buy for the same price as the Rogue. Although I can make it sound like a thunderstorm, and that's pretty neat at times :D
  7. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    like........ what? ive heard that the squire bass amps are pretty crappy, and the review actually reccomended a rogue over that! :eek:

well, if someone would like to sell me a good little practice amp, or give me one, by all means! Do so!:D
  8. An inexpensive Rogue amp might be fine for plucking around at home, but if you have any intention of being a serious player spend a little more money and buy something you will be happy with. Instead of just ordering out of a catalog visit a few stores and play through what they have to offer. When i started playing bass, I bought the cheap, off brand equipment and then had to spend more money to replace it later on. My experience is you are better off spending a little more money up front and getting a better product than starting at the bottom and trading up. It just costs you more money and frustration in the end.
  9. I play my rogue bass through a rogue amp with a rogue cable and rogue strings - it sounds great and it only cost me 3.00 bucks!!
  10. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    lol! Good one!:D
  11. I had the 30 watt...definetely use as a practice amp by yourself,it barely can be heard with 60 watt guitar amps...and yeah, the sound quality sucks bad
  12. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    you ever seen those rogue/squire strat guitars?

WOW. I want to buy one just so i could smash it, and hey, i'd only be out 10 bucks.
  13. Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    Hey, I have a rogue cg50b... i just bought it for the watts so I could actually be heard during band practice. Peice o crap? definitely... but i can live with it until I get a fatty all tube ampeg or something :) . $130 isn't a lot to spend on an amp... if i were in the situation again i would've gotten a used peavey or something, but hey for a new amp... i think its.. useable. Lets just say i've learned to live with it.