Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinion rg: Gig at festival organized by church and profanities in lyrics

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Jun 1, 2005.

1. So... we are supossed to stand in for another band to play at a festival organized by the catholic church.

We cover "Killing in the name of" and one of our songs contains "**** you" (actually the main part of the chorus consists of these two words).... shall we "censor" them out, or will it be okay to still play the songs/sing the lyrics.

I'm afraid we won't get paid afterwards.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I would drop the tune for this gig. You are sure to have plenty of opportunities to play it elsewhere.

If you don't have enough songs, then censor it. Part of being professional is being appropriate and profanity at a church sponsored event is not.

:D

Joe.

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree. Don't censor the song, as the theme may involve more inappropriate material than just those two lyrics.

4. Actually.. it transports a pretty christan message :D

That's the lyrics:
    Code:
     I know you think you are the best,
    but you are just a little joke
    Your world`s so small, your hate`s so tall,
    your tongue`s so nasty, where is your soul
    You just talk ****, you cannot think,
    just judge and complain, talk about pain
    I hate your pseudo friendly face,
    your god damn ego, you`re a fake

Chorus:
    **** you and your little brain
    **** you – are you insane

But all in all I have to say,
    I feel so sorry for you this day
    You are not real, you cannot feel,
    no sexappeal, so damn unreal
    Maybe one day you`ll understand,
    you`ll change your live, you`ll recognize
    That life means more than telling ****,
    search for your soul, it is a gift

Chorus:
    **** you and your little brain
    **** you – are you insane

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Sorry, this one's a slam dunk - don't play it. In show biz, timing is everything. I'm surprised you even had to ask.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How about checking with the organisers? Churches can have widely varying approaches to issues such as 'suitable lyrics'. Find out a bit about where they're coming from and what the festival is in aid of.

Wulf

7. It's a festival for christian kids and youth... there are workshops/bible-lessons during the day and the festival at the evening.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    sorry, but "god damn ego" kills this tune at this function. No need in having the organizers rush you off the stage or pull the power cord

9. Yeah.. i talked with a very christian (but laid back) person from my work and he said if it's not 100% necessary to play this tune we should just cut it.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    As another "laid back" Christian bass player... wise-choice, my friend. Have fun @ the gig!

11. Thx.

I'll report how it went, if there's anything to report, that is.

P.S: I like laid back christians

P.P.S:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wait... Killing in the Name of... the Rage song?

Just everytime they say the "f" word, say "Hug"

"Hug you I won't do what you tell me."

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

14. As a laid-back Christian, bassist, who's also a Pastor:
    leave this one home.

15. Id do it! Im also an ******* so I dont suggest listening to me.

16. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    how is rag against the machine christian? I love the band, but chanes are the church won't take kindly to anything that's rage like, try some pillar, Kutless, and chavel, unless you don't know any/feel like learning any.

17. Sounds to me like you're lyrics are trashing the extreme Christian types that are more about hating groups (gays, for example) than love and brotherhood.

You may not think these guys are in that group, but they may see the song as general Christian bashing.

If that's the case (or if they can be misconstrued to mean what I'm suggesting), the fact that there's a few "bad" words in them really isn't the point. The whole point of the song could be offensive even if you manage to censor out the few bad words.

I'd say just don't do the song. There's a difference between selling out and censorship vs biting the hand that feeds you. If you feel that strongly about it, don't take their money and skip the gig. But I'd say you probably should either skip the gig, or skip the song.

Just my 2c. You wouldn't play "F**** Bush, he's the Antichrist" at a GOP rally if you changed it to "Screw Bush", right? Even if you meant Bush I, not W, so it didn't apply to the current Pres, I don't think it'd go over very well.

Randy

18. Well, the gig wen'T fairly well.

We had like 15 ppl watching us (of which half left before the end), but we had a great sound.

The ppl were all cool, we didn't play that song, but the priest wouldn't have had a problem if we did, from what i can tell.

We got 140€ too, for 45min concert, so it was cool. Thanks for all your input.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This leaves me confused: Is Killing in the Name of a song not by RATM? Because the lyrics that you posted are slightly, not RATM.

20. He said they cover Killing in the Name and another of their songs has **** you as the chorus. He posted te lyrics for their own song, not Killing in the Name. That confused me for a min as well.