Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinions about EMG-J pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkdaddy, May 13, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about replacing the passive pickups in my MIA Jazz bass with EMG-J pickups, and would appreciate any opinions from those who have first-hand experience with these pickups. I used to have these EMG's in another Jazz about 10 years ago, but it's been a while since I've heard them. I recall them having a clean and modern tone, and were particularly great for playing slap. I play everything from funk to jazz to blues to soul, and want to have pickups that cover this territory. Plus, I want the advantages of active pickups (no hum, higher output, extended frequency response, more even volume across strings, etc.).

Also, I don't know if I should keep the passive tone control on my Jazz bass, or add active tone controls. Does EMG make active tone controls that fit in the control cavity of a Jazz bass (and also fit on the chrome plate)? I'm familiar with the J-Retro preamp, but don't know if this is compatible. Or could the Aguilar OBP-1 be used with the EMG's?

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Check out :-

www.emginc.com

That's EMG's official website, they should be able to help you out!:)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Your description of the sound is correct, IMO. I think that they will be good for your applications.

About the actice tone curcuits, they make a few. BTC & BTC System. Both are the same except one is Concentric Basss & Trebble & the other has a Seperate Bass & trebble. Both come w/a Volume & Pan comtrol. You could also get the BQC or BQS Whick are the same as above but have a concentric MidRange & frequency sweep.

I tried the BQC once & I really didn't need the midrange. I feel the best one for your bass is the BTC System. It has 3 knobs & you won't have to do any mods to you bass.

I have a 2 basses w/EMG's & an Aguilar OBP-1 & I like it better than the EMG BUT your will need to make modifications to fit the pre amp& 2 9 volt batteries.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    "I tried the BQC once & I really didn't need the midrange. I feel the best one for your bass is the BTC System. It has 3 knobs & you won't have to do any mods to you bass.

I have a 2 basses w/EMG's & an Aguilar OBP-1 & I like it better than the EMG BUT your will need to make modifications to fit the pre amp& 2 9 volt batteries."

BTC is the easiest upgrade in this case. The BQC is a bit much.

BQC would require MAD MODIFICATIONS! I did it to my Modulus VJ4 and if given the opportunity to go back in time, I'd have just put in the BTC.

BTW, 9v is just fine to run any EMG system. Both of my EMG BQC basses have 9 and sound great.

5. Thanks for the info everyone.....

I've got a question about the EMG tone controls: Can the black knobs that come with these tone controls be replaced with the standard J-bass knobs, or possibly some chrome dome knobs? I don't know if the EMG knobs would look right on a J-bass (although tone is more important than looks!).

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Allparts makes chrome, blk or gold stacked knobs to fit EMG pots. They also have stacked jazz style knobs. If not them, I know that fender has them.