1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Opinions - Buy Fretless Bass or Just Fretless Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dude, you can never have too many basses!

58 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Get the neck! It'll be the cheaper and easier thing to do!

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Fretless carrots get the best mwah!

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Hey guys,

I've recently been getting the itch to try fretless again and was just looking for opinions on which route I should take. I could:

1. Buy a fretless Fender Precision Bass when one pops up on the used market
    or
    2. Buy a fretless P neck from Warmoth and attach it to my current Fender P bass

*edit* Also, I'm not interested in the Squier Fretless Jazz. I owned one for a while - great bass for the cost - but I don't like jazz basses. Good suggestion though :)

There are obviously pros and cons to each, but right now my main constraint is money. I don't have much to spend, so buying just a neck would probably be the better route to take. Plus if I decide it's not for me I won't be out much money. On the flip side, It'd suck to have to swap my neck out on the reg as I'll probably not want to play fretless all the time. So yeah, I'll leave it to my TB brothers to decide my fate.... unless I don't like what you guys vote for :p

Thanks!

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Or just look for a squier and defret the neck;). Can be cheaper than buying a fretless neck from warmoth if you find a good deal.

3. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

4. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    +1 great basses for the prices, cant go wrong

5. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    It's definitely an idea, but I'm not too big of a fan of the headstock or the fact that they don't seem to sell anything with an ebony board. Then again, beggers can't be choosers lol.

6. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
  7. I just ordered a Stagg fretless and will change: strings, pups, put a preamp and make it active. Hope this bass come right. Maybe I´ll have to change the tuners and the bridge...will see

I was about to buy the Squier VM fretless wich is a good bass IMO, but I don´t want those lines on the fretbord.

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I had one for awhile. They are fantastic basses for the money, but I hate jazz necks lol. It really has to be a precision. Plus, I don't care for the lined fretboard.

Man, I'm way too hard to please...

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Neck sizes aside. Do you expect the P sound in a fretless?
    I've always felt that sound required the help of a bridge pickup.

10. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I get a nice, thumpy, kinda upright-ish sound out of a crappy P i defretted one day....

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
  12. 100% sure you want a P fretless?
    My choice is, get a fretless bass. But not a precision, "thump" and "mwah" are two diffrent words in my vocabulary.
    Probably not an easiest reseller as well
    But it is all up to you really

13. A PJ fretless....

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Converting a fret to fretless is not difficult. I figure if I was able to do it, pretty much everyone else can.

Toe nail clippers, a wood mallet, wood glue, sand paper, 12" length of 2x4 and can of poly.

15. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking get the Douglas from Rondo. No Fretlines, $109.95, and if you don't like it, you can probably get most of your money back since it isn't much to begin with.

16. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd suggest getting a whole other bass. A Warmoth neck is fairly expensive (often more expensive than an inexpensive used bass) and you have to provide the nut for it. Find an inexpensive bass, either fretted or fretless and make it what you want it to be.

I've never really played a fretless P-Bass and I sort of recoil at the thought. At the same time, my main fretless has Bartolini pickups, dark woods and I always use just the neck pickup. It's a dark, rich sounding instrument - not at all a Jaco, Karn kind of tone. I suppose a P-Bass could get me there as well. I'd like to try one some time.

Good luck.

KO

17. I still want an unlined maple neck '70s p, but really think the jazz makes a better fretless with the bridge pickup (I have 2-an active and a passive, both modded).

If you want a fretless p, do like others said and give Rondo a call.

If you want to try a fretless j, go with the Squier. Better resale if you don't like it and a nice sounding, playing bass, to boot.

18. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I'd say get another bass. What if you hate the fretless neck on your current bass? Now, you have to undue and re setup the bass. Seems like a ton of work.
    I'd buy a fretless of some sort to fill my need. However, it will cost more.

19. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    +1

Douglas WEB 825 3TS Fretless at RondoMusic.com

20. get another bass: you're grown up enough!!!

:D