1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Opinions CARVIN GEAR!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I can't find anything in reviews here, or on harmony central (except 1 review), or manufacturer's web site reguarding the Carvin B800 head. I like the price and the potential of pushing 800 watts. I have been looking at getting a 4ohm 2-12" Avatar cab, and I haven't seen anything but good things review wise. Even at 4 ohms the head still pushes 500 watts the cab I am looking at is 500 watts rms. I really can't wait to get another 4 ohm cab and unlock the full 800 watts. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat 800 watts at $430. It comes to about $0.54 per watt. Anybody have anything good/bad to say about the B800 head or that setup in general. It's been awhile since I needed a seperate head/cab and this will be my first major purchase in quite sometime.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've had a Carvin B1500 for a couple of months and I'm quite pleased with it. Tons of headroom (1250W @ 4 ohms), great tone and a simple, straightforward EQ. For $720 shipped to your door, it's difficult to beat! I see that you are new here, welcome to TB! You can search the amp forums for Carvin and find plenty of reviews. For a detailed review of the B800 go here...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276320&highlight=Carvin

Cheers,
    Kevin

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've owned some of their heads in the past. None of them thrilled me at all, but I've read many a good review on the B series and I admittedly have not tried a B series myself. One thing I can say is their gear is solid. I've owned many of their amps and PA gear (in addition to the bass gear) and never had anything fail on me. Hard to believe that they are still US made at those prices, but it's true!

4. Yeah, both companies I a looking at still make gear in USA, and it is cheaper (watt to price) than, any foriegn product out there.

5. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I've had a B800 since about May, and I love it. It sounds like you're interested in it mainly because of the wattage, so you might want to consider looking at the B1500, but in my opinion you cant beat the tone of the B800 without spending two or three times as much money. I bought my Carvin and an Aguilar S410 when the S series was being discontinued and was on sale everywhere, so I have a $900, 300 watt halfstack that blows away everything else that I've tried that's even close to the same price range. The B800 is a high-quality, versatile, loud amp that I would highly recommend you try, assuming you aren't looking for Ampeg rumble.

6. IMO, most gear is just a name. If famous bass players of yesteryear were playing an amp like Behringer and all rock artist used them, you would ask if I wanted that Behringer rumble. I like the specs on the B800 and alot of carvin customers have sworn their undying allegiance to them. I just want some non bias opinions.

I am mainly concerned with tone and I know that 800 watts is more than I would ever need. I am currently using a Crate bass amp, and I really love some of the tones I get out of it, but its not enough power. If I could afford the B1500, I would definantly get one. My big deal is I need a great head that pushes more than 400 watts + a cab that is not MDF and has capable handling power. Matching the 4 omh Avatar gets me there pretty quickly and cheaply. Plus, I really like that you can now choose tolex on the avatar cabs.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Do it, you'll love it.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I had a B800 and loved the sound. It was also nice and light and seemed solidly made. In the end I passed it on because I wanted more watts for my loudest times (I run a pair of 8-Ohm Avatar 1x12s) - I make the tradeoff of having to run more watts to get my volume rather than carry more speaker area. The B1500 was heavier than I wanted so I didn't go that route.

But I loved the tone and if the pre was available in a separate 1-sp rackmount unit I'd be using it today.

9. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Eh, I doubt I would. Most Ampeg gear I've played through does have a distinct sound that, honestly, isn't really my thing -- too muddy to my ears. :bag: I just mentioned "Ampeg rumble" because I can get a wide variety of tones out of my B800, from a more modern, hi-fi sound to a much deeper, more low end focused, traditional tone. But I've never found a way to EQ it to duplicate that deep, rumbly low end that is associated with SVTs. I don't like that sound, so I don't care, but if you really do like it, you might want to look elsewhere. Of course, everything I've said about the tone probably has a lot to do with my cab too.

10. Thanks for your opinion. I am looking for a more crisp attack oriented with nice bottom end. But, yeah I am just saying alot of AMPEG is because the people who use them. I am not really impressed with there stuff tone wise. I used to use an old acoustic head, I am an IDIOT for letting that thing go. I had some really great tones and definantly enough power. Well, No one has really said anything bad about Carvin, which is what I am looking for but I don't dare write it off as the perfect amp. Any negatives out there besides the "not ampeg tone" thing. I am pretty sure I could dial in something that suites my style. I play mostly full on attack, never on the same note for more than 2 seconds, up and down various jazz/blues scales and intergrating it to be more punk rock oriented. Think Matt Freeman from Rancid, although, I am not as good as him. I don't know what jind of amp he uses, but it is pure heaven when he plays that Maxwell Murders solo. That is one of the finest pieces of music I have ever heard.

11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I can't comment on a Carvin product, because I never owned one ... but I certainly can comment on their customer service, or should I say sales staff competence ... I wrote several emails, and made phone calls leaving messages inquiring to a specific listing Carvin had on their site ... this was months ago ... I finally received a call back on my answering machine after I sent an email to inquire as to the lack of response ... I returned the call, leaving a message, but I never heard anything again ... I had/have credit card in hand, but I have yet to hear back ... quite simply, if it is this hard to give them money to BECOME a customer, I can only imagine what it might be like if they HAVE my money and something goes wrong and I need their attention to fix it ... Beleive me, I am pretty doggone easy to get along with when it comes to sales/marketing, and I understand how things/people can fall thru cracks, as I was a sales manager for many years, and have seen plenty of things happen that I had to try and fix ... I got tired of waiting and bought my second choice ... I am not saying I wont ever buy a Carvin, the product has received very good reviews, and sounds to be just what I needed, but you only get one chance in sales to make a first impression, and that is the impression that a person will relay to others when asked ... this post is an example of that ... hope you have better luck ...

12. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    They dont' allow any sort of negative posting on their site. Makes you kind of think tho. They want only glowing reviews, happy customers, etc. Honesty?? where is that??? I won't get into details, but I have found more than one thing they say/show on some of their promo material to be just flat out "incorrect", in a "deceiveing" sort of way, which tends to leave a bad taste. Too bad too, cuz they make decent stuff for the $$.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's Carvin's website. They pay for it. It's a promo tool. You have to expect that.

Re customer service--I asked a technical question by email to their tech department. I got an answer back in about 5 days. I've ordered from them twice. I always got fast courteous service. On one order the salesman couldn't answer a technical question and called a tech guy to handle it. I got exactly what I wanted, delivered to my door in 8 days, in Canada!

14. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I was thinking about getting a Carvin B1500 as well... but their warranty is only 1 year. AND if something goes wrong, it gets shipped to California and you're amp-less. Not good for a gigging musician.

15. These are all great comments. I emailed Carvin and then called. I guess I wasn't patiant enough for them, i got the email the day after I called. Day1 emailed, day3 called, day 4 email response. Not too shabby. My complaint was different answers. I want to get the b800 head and was going to match it with their br410 cab. In the ad that I have, they match the BX600 head with the 4-10" for $750. My logic was, since the B800 was 50 cheaper they could package it for 50 cheaper. The only problem was different answers. The guy that I called said they couldn't do it,the email I received a day later said they could and to call customer service so they can give me all the details.

What about the product?

16. Well, I guess I was trying to talk myself out of it but I can't find a reason why I wouldn't get it. I can always send it back, right? Thanks for all your responses. Now I just have to wait for the 800+ dollars and I'll be having one kick ass rig. When I told my fellow band mates that I was about to get a 500 watt half stack, I saw jaws drop. My guitarist had a look of disbelief and my drummer just kept shaking his head. I don't know what we will do for a PA now. Once I get it, it will probably be a while before I can let it go full blast. I wanted to get it before we had another gig, but I don't know if that will happen yet. Anyways, once again, Thanx.