Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinions I need a new cordless drill/screwdriver

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 23, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The sears one I have is dying. It is not very old either. Every time I go to use it the battery is dead. I want something that I can use for assembling and disassembling basses. It must have adjustable torque. What do you guys use?

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Just buy a mains operated drill and a good set of hand screwdrivers. Power tools for assembling basses are not needed and can easily strip screw heads or break off screws. If it is too hard to tighten by hand then your pilot hole is too short or too small.
    Jeff

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks but I disagree.....t

4. I just use an inexpensive black & decker for that kind of thing. There are better cordless drills on the market, but they're too expensive for me (I use the left over cash to buy more useful things). It works well for general work, such as drilling screw holes and screwing in screws. However, I can't say whether the lifetime of cheap drills is less than the expensive brand names. I suppose it all depends on how much you really depend on the drill.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I use all corded stuff (cheaper, no waiting for the batteries to charge, usless you have a spare), but I've got some experience with DeWalt cordless tools (drill and recip. saw). They're pretty good quality.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I really want something with variable torque I haven't seen that in the corded drills....t

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    For the things you've mentioned, a Dewalt 12v would be fine. Plenty of power, torque adjustment, good dependability. IMO, the weight to power trade off is not worth it to get the 18v, if you are just assembling basses with it.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For installing pickguards and other small jobs I would get something in the style show below. I would not get a Skil, they are very cheap. Get 3.2V or better.

I find that the small straight ones are less likely to strip the screws and you get less fatigue using them. The better ones have a torque setting.

[​IMG]