Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinions (Kramer, Rogue, Squier)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Okay, here's the deal: I have $500 to spend on a bass and an amp. Here's what I've been looking at:

Basses:
    Rogue LX205B $159.99 @ Musician's Friend
    Kramer Baretta 522S $219 @ Musicyo.com
    Squier 4-str. P-Bass $199 @ Mars

Any opinions on these basses?

------------------
    Thanks,
    TAD

"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport; with a bullet called life." - System of a Down - "Sugar"

2. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Totengraber:
    Okay, here's the deal: I have $500 to spend on a bass and an amp. Here's what I've been looking at:

Basses:
    Rogue LX205B $159.99 @ Musician's Friend
    Kramer Baretta 522S $219 @ Musicyo.com
    Squier 4-str. P-Bass $199 @ Mars

Any opinions on these basses?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard only bad things about the Rougue basses. The Squires are quite well thought of, but for $500 you can get yourself a very decent MIM Fender Standard Jazz or Precision. Also the bottom end Spectors NS2000B have been decently reviewed.

Good luck!

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Look at the Epiphones. The have some fine long & short scale basses in your price range. Some of them are reproductions of early Gibson models and they look & sound much better than any of the ones you mentioned.
    http://www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Remember, guys, it's $500 for bass AND amp. I'd go with the Squier of the three you list (although I' get a comparable Jazz Bass ... more versatile, but a little more money). Play a whole bunch of them before you buy one ... their playability is quite variable. You can get a good one if you're choosy. For the amp, think about a used one with at least 100 watts; 200 is better, 300 is better yet, etc. etc. etc. Stick with a name you've heard of. Peavey is OK, even Carvin. Obviously, a better name at a fire sale would be the ultimate.

5. I absolutely love my Mexican Fender Jazz. Play a bunch and buy the best one you find. You should be able to find one for about $325 locally. That leaves you $175 for an amp. I would recommend a used Peavey 1-15 combo like a TNT or TKO. You'll have to look a while for one that cheap, but if you're in no hurry, you'll find it. Check pawn shops everywhere on a weekly basis. Look in classifieds on the net and in the newspaper, all the time. I lucked into one for $50 once. Like a dummy, I sold it.

All of this is assuming you're in the US. $500 will get you a sweet setup if you don't have to have it by tomorrow and can look around.

Chris

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey try a Fender MIM Jazz w/like a Fender BXR 15 [45watts 8inch speaker].....it's a nice practice setup......that would cost just over $500 [$300-310 bass] [$200-210 amp].....oh yeah just buy the one that feels right & that u can afford to own.

7. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    If you want a new amp, I got my Peavey Basic 112 for $240. It's a fifty watt job through a 12 inch speaker. As for the bass, I honestly preferred the MIMs to the Squier, but that is a matter of preference and budgetary concern. As was previously mentioned, always checked classified ads. i got my first bass and amp for $150 through the ads in the paper.

8. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Another voice here chiming in on the MIM Jazz or Precision, and the Peavey MicroBass amp. Danelectro makes a decent small bass amp as well, but I'm slightly hungover and can't remember the model number.

-GM

9. The Danelectro practice Bass amp is the Nifty Seventy. 15 Watts Solid State, 8" speaker in sealed box, pretty cool. I've got one, but then I found a 1979 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp. It's got a 12" speaker and it's 15 Watts tube power. Really cool.

Chris

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Id get either a MIM Fender P or J and a Fender BXR 25.Great rig to start.Good luck!

11. Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Dec 12, 1999
    just keep in mind that it CAN be done! i got my Fender MIM precision for $266 and my Peavy Microbass amp for $118 i believe. the amp was marked down because it wasn't boxed, it was the one sitting out for people to look at and play through, kinda like the shoe at the shoe store that people pick up and say HUMMM THAT LOOKS NICE. so i walked out of the store with a brand new precision bass and a practice amp which i both love for under $400. if i would have had $500, i could have gotten a better amp.

12. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    500$? Hmmm...
    You've got a musician's friend right? Check out the Dean Edge4 its only 340$! Plus its got EMG's and (in my opinion) is better constructed then rogue, squier, and epiphone. It's also got 24 frets compared to the squier's 20 frets.Plus its got great tuners, and it has a transparent finish. Then with the left over 160$ you could get a gig bag (musicians friend) and a great Hartke B30 amp. That would be a great setup for a bassist who's just getting started, as well as an intermediate bassist. But in the end, it's what you like. Whatever feels good and sounds good to you is what you should get. If you like it than by all means get it!!!

13. IanthePez

IanthePez

May 29, 2000
    I had about that much money and I got a MIM Fender Jazz Bass for $299 from Muscians friend and that leaves $200 for a decent amp which isn't too bad. I think having a slightly better bass is more important that amp. You can still get a good amp with that money.

Pez

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IanthePez:
    &lt;snip&gt;I think having a slightly better bass is more important that amp. &lt;snip&gt;
    Pez
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, in the real world, that's backwards.. You will hear more of a difference in sound from a better amp than a better bass.. But, a better bass is more fun, and I guess you could always borrow
    an amp if you have a gig..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

15. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i bought a squier p-bass on sale for 179.99, it is a quality bass, i recomend it to anyone as a good starting bass to play, im looking to get something better within 6 months maybe, but you shouldnt go for something to complicated or expensive if youre just starting, if you dont know what youre doing or if you dont know to much about basses in general, you should keep it simple until youre ready to handle something more expensive.

16. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the Qintar:
    if you dont know what youre doing or if you dont know to much about basses in general, you should keep it simple until youre ready to handle something more expensive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    [​IMG]
    That's one of the most foolish things I've ever heard. How exactly does someone as experienced and worldly as yourself "handle" something more expensive? Are you implying that a $800 bass is more difficult to play?

Additionally, the Fender Precision defines simple. The best playing is the world has been on P-basses. Sheesh!

[This message has been edited by blipndub (edited August 02, 2000).]

17. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    hey whats your problem dude, im not calling anyone foolish, or saying your opinions are foolish, so back off alright, i gave my opinion, if someones just starting off and has no musical experience, why should they buy an expensive instrument, what if they decide they dont like it after they buy it? when i said, wait until you can handle a more expensive instrument, i wasnt implying that they were difficult to play, theres just more to them, more knobs, different kinds of pickups, different accesories. why should someone spend 1,000 dollars on an instrument theyre just starting off on, so they can get bombarded by it? that seems foolish, besides, they guy i was responding to said he had only 500 dollars to play with. i also never said i was worldly or anything like that, theres no need for you to get all sarcastic, i like my squier p bass, it wasnt expensive and it was a good starter, id recomend it, in fact i did recomend it to the dude in the first place, so back off.

18. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    See gmstudio99 and you will know!

19. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Personally, of the three that you listed, I'd go with the Squire, but then again I really like P and J basses. One of my friends has the Rogue LX200B bass and it's ok. Sound is fair but the build quality isn't the best (he's had problems with knobs falling off, but then again maybe it was him and not the bass). I have almost no experience with Kramer so I won't comment on them. You might look into some of the less expensive Hamer models as well, I got mine for $250 (though it was heavily discounted because of it being an older model ).

Any amp that you can get with the money left over is one that you'll probably outgrow soon, but then again that's just my personal opinion from experience. My first amp (Crate BX-15) was good, but I quickly outgrew it's 12 watts when I jammed with friends. Plus, the 8" speaker doesn't produce the tones that I like (I'm a 15" man). Check the pawnshops, sometimes you can get good bargains there. My advice here is to save up, get yourseld a MIM Fender and either a Crate/Peavy (new) or SWR/GK/Hartke/Ampeg (used). Just remember to try before you buy.

Anyhow, that's all just my opinions. One thing that you might try would be to see if you can't borrow various instruments/amps and try them out for a short while, that way you'd have a pretty good idea of what you like.

[Edited by White_Knight on 08-07-2000 at 10:13 PM]

20. Perhaps my tone was too sarcastic. But the original poster was not talking about a $1000 bass, for $500 you can get a very decent bass and not settle on something you will outgrow rapidly. I started on a $175 Musicmaster that was horrible, when I "moved up" to a $300 Peavey my playing really advanced. Bad guitars begat frustrated students. However, I will say the Squire's I've played have been very good. I wonder why you are seeking an "up grade" so soon?