1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need opinions on B2R head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Since your only looking at "Ampeg", you could do worse I guess.

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The craigslist ad doesn't say that the 4x10 in the musician's friend listing is the same one. Ampeg makes a few different 4x10's. I'd ask about that.

3. I'm not only looking for Ampeg, I just found this one on Clist that happened to be an Ampeg. I'm simply looking for a new amp/cab to support my stingray. I'm going to go and check this thing out this week, was just seeing if anybody had some input to give on this product.

4. Good, your ears are the best opinion you are going to find anywhere! Some really like the B2R's sound, others will tell you it is a powerless head. Add need opinions on B2R to the thread's title and you'll get a lot more responses!

5. Mooblar

Mooblar

Jan 9, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I gigged my B2R head with the 4x10 HEN cab (8 Ohm load) for about 6 years. It got the job done and paid for itself many times over.

That said, it always seemed a little weak in the tone to me. None of that "tube sparkle".

At 4 Ohms, this head comes alive and can really roar. I can also get some decent overdrive out of it.

6. Thank you Mooblar for your input, I'm going to look at this amp/cab tomorrow. I tend to be very compulsive so I could walk out with a new amp. Anybody else have anything to say about this amp and cab that I should know?

7. Just remember the first amp is not always the best, just the first. You may also get a better deal by walking away the first time. If you don't mind the suggestion also look at G-K (Gallien-Krueger), Genz Benz, Peavey, Carvin, many brands you should give a listen to. Alway take your own bass to try them out.

8. yeah I went and played that amp today, wasn't what I was looking for. I wasn't too happy with how it sounded and it had a constant hissing noise and cut in and out several times. I'm looking into the GK 700rbii now, can anybody tell me some opinions on that one?

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I love my Ampeg b2r and a 4x10 cab is a good companion for a b2r head. But see them before you buy. Some of the Ampeg b2 heads can have broken knobs and damaged electronics, and what kind of 4x10 cab is it and what speakers are in it and what is the ohms rating?

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Trying before you buy is a good idea in general. Even if it's in perfect condition, you should probably make sure you like it, first.

11. G-K 700RB II is an awesome amp head, very versitile, hard to find a cab that it won't work with. LOUD, just remember the "Volume" is the input gain and the woofer control is the master volume, the boost control gets some nice overdiven tones, the string switch can be used with 4-strings to extend the bottom end.

12. Thanks a lot Bstring for the info on that. I'm very new to all of these amps and features. The whole string option won't do much for a 5 string then I'm guessing?

13. 5 String is what it is made for, extends the low end for 5 stringers (like me) or can give a deeper low end to 4 string basses :)
    Between the well designed 4 "band" EQ, Presence control, Contour control, String switch and boost it is pretty amazing the various different tones you can get from it (almost pulled the trigger on one before the Fusion came up and still may pick one up).

14. awesome, well, I went against what everyone says about playing it first and just picked one up used on musicians friend. There are no music stores to try out amps around here and I've heard nothing but great things about it. Thanks again for your help.

15. Enjoy!

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

One of the best bass amps ever made, IMO - I liked my 1st one so much, I traded for a 2nd one to have as a backup...

- georgestrings

17. Great to hear! Thank you George.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    between the two, i'd take a 700rb any day of the week. 700rb isn't a favorite of mine, but it's a good solid head that delivers a good solid tone. now make it an svt 3 pro vs the 700rb and it's a tighter battle.