Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinions on cabinet choices...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmutant, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Ok, just want some feedback on some ideas i'm kicking around for a small, powerful, and decent bass rig.
    I've already got a Mesa m2000 basis, but i need cabs, this is what i've been kicking around

Acme 2x10 , would it be loud enough with just one?
    Dr bass 2x10 and 1x12
    Maybe, and i mean, like i donate some blood and pull out my gold fillings, one schroeder 1210, but that would be it

I'm just going to be playing 4 string electric and electric urb, with a double bass on the way sometime by summer.

I'm looking for something that can get decent volume, is tonally accurate, reliable, but is under 700 bucks total. Also, my head says 4ohm minimum impedance, says it puts out 600w rms at that impedance rating. Thanks.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Mesa amps play well with Eden cabs. Grab up a nice 410XLT, easily under $700 used. Bag End also sounds good through that Mesa head.

Where in Washington are you?

Last week, the Tacoma GC had the M2000 amp and a few cabs lying around you could try out.

-Mike

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Dr. Bass 2X10 + 1X12
    or
    Dr. Bass 2X12

Either will sound incredible and you can still afford groceries.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fwiw, look around for used bag end 1x15 cabs and 1x12 cabs
    2 15's or a 15 and a 12 are very portable and can be stupid loud. they're very hard to blow as well. you'd have to dime your amp to kill one of those 15's

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dr. Bass cabs should definitely be on your list, as should cabs from Low Down Sound. I haven't tried the Dr. Bass 1x12, but I am very impressed with my 2x10 and 1x15 from Marc. Don, up at Low Down Sound, builds some really impressive cabs, too, and his long-throw 8" equipped cabs are incredible. I know of several players who double on electric and upright who have been very impressed with the Low Down Sound cabs. I'm strongly considering having Don build me a custom cab.

With regard to the ACME, I do not think that a single Low B-2 would be loud enough for you. However, if you could find a 4 ohm EA VL-210 (which should be in your price range), that would be a really good pairing with your Boogie.

Hope this helps, Tom.