Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need opinions on how to play...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SUM4182, Feb 11, 2002.

1. SUM4182

SUM4182

Feb 10, 2002
    Bolingbrook, IL
    i started playing bass a few days ago. i want to learn every way there is to play, but i cant take lessons until this summer. so i figured i can play some punk and some easy stuff with just a pick for now, however, i hear all you guys saying not to play with picks and to play with fingers. i dont even know how to play with fingers...so is it worth it to play bad songs like blink 182 and stuff until i take lessons, or learn the play with my fingers on my own? i really need to know. like i said i want to learn all the ways, so i can as good as i can. im only 16 and i know i have a long time ahead of me. what should i do? all help would be much appreciated. thankx

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Someone should be able to fish out a picture for you, showing someone playing finger style. :)

3. umm, am I missing something?
    I guess i really never thought about it but what’s "proper" finger technique other then using your fingers to hit the strings? I mean other then trying to use more then one finger what’s to know?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think it's probably best if you play around as much as you can with it. Some pointers on fingerstyle:

Don't pluck the string - a lot of newcomers kind of hook the string and pluck at it, this'll work for getting a sound but slow you down bigtime in the long run.

To practice the right way to do it you touch the string with the tip of you finger and let it slide off creating a sound. There's lots of variations on that, but that's the main fingering technique.

I'd also recomend learning to do it softly first. I play really hard and it's been hard to learn to play more softly. The softer you play, the more articulate you can be and as your fingers get stronger you'll be able to play harder when ya feeling it.

Most people use the middle finger and index finger. If you're feeling adventurous you can try using more. If you're just starting out it might be easier for you to incorporate all your fingers right from the getgo. I use 2 fingers (sometimes 3) but don't have the patience now to get them all going strong. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt my playing any if I could.

There's nothing wrong with playint with a pick, but you can do a lot more (IMO) with your fingers.

Have fun with the bass - do whatever you can to make great sounds come out of it. You might invent a way of playing that nobody's ever done before. The electric bass isn't even 75 yrs old yet. Just imagine how people will be playing 500 yrs. from now - techiniques we wouldn't have dreamed of.... uhh, that is of course if our fine planet lasts that long.