Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need opinions on new Fender Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, May 31, 2005.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I've done a search and haven't come up with much. Owners of the new FB100, what do you think about the tone and volume of this little combo? The weight looks too good to be true. Have you actually weighed it? I bought an Ashdown EB180 one time and it weighed 13# more than what they claimed!

I don't expect to rock arenas with the little Bassman, but for low volume practice it looks like it could be pretty good. Whadaya think? Where's the cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks, Alan

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm also seriously interested in this combo for jazz gigs. Reviews would be awesome.

3. dsidab81

dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    I don't have any experience with the newest edition of the Bassman 100, but I did own the version put out roughly 2-3 years ago. It suited me fine for the use I intended it for at that time. I was stationed on a US navy ship and I practiced regularly with two guitarists with Crate solid state 50w combos. I had no problem keeping up or cutting through. Although once you start increasing the volume past 5 on the post it would clip quite a bit. I always had to switch to passive on my warwick to kind of alleviate it. Being that it's only 100w you won't keep up with larger guitar rigs. I used the combo against the Marshall Slash half stack, and it required lots of PA supports in a practice room to be heard over that and a loud drummer. Hope this helps.

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks dsidab81, I don't expect to keep up with any loud guitar amps, just low volume jazz rehearsals and small acoustic gigs.

5. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I don't have the new bassman 100, but I did buy the new bassman 150 with the 12" speaker. I brought it to a gig the other night to try it out before I bought it. Although I was lined out thru the pa system, I was standing behind the horn section (we are a 7 piece 50's rock & roll band) and they can get loud if you know what I mean. I was able to hear myself with no problem. The other members could hear me as well. I had a good tone and the clarity was good. Spend the few extra buck and buy the bassman 150. You won't regret it.

Tramp

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Tramp, I appreciate your input on the 150, sounds awesome. I'm looking for a super lightweight practice amp along the lines of the GK MB150 only cheaper. I've got a WalkAbout head and EA Wizzy cab for the louder stuff (yes, they're too heavy sometimes).

Nobody has the new Bassman 100?

7. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nobody?

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I guess these aren't setting any sales records.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I tried both the 100 and 150 a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion it is worth the extra couple of $$ for the 150.
    It was very clear, clean with better lows and smoother highs due to the better tweeter in the 150. It was also capable of some serious volume too! It only weighs a couple pounds more than the 100 and to me was the "no brainer" choice.
    I almost bought it on the spot to have as a small gig/rehearsal combo. I'd say go for the 150!

10. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have the 150. It sounds sweet.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If by a couple, you mean 13. That's the deal (or back) breaker for me.

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I did compare the 150 to the GK150 as well and liked the 150 far, far better. Just my opinion.
    As far as weight goes, the 150 is still plenty light at 39 lbs.
    If a 13 lb. difference is your "back breaker" that's up to you, but I'll carry the extra weight for the better tone, clarity, volume, low-end, features, etc. that the 150 offers.

13. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I love the old black-face version from about 2 years ago (pre-SWR). I suspect the build-quality on the new silver-face line is better due to the SWR influence (it would have to be...), but I haven't played one.

It does look like the new Bassman line is using smaller speakers, unless you get the bigger units. I wouldn't want anything smaller than 15" personally (maybe 2 10s...). As I recall, the 250 comes in both 1x15 & 2x10.

14. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    For what its for ( practice, light gigs,self monitoring) the 150 with the 12" kicks butt. Plenty of bottom, I mean plenty, smoothness and punch. I was surprised that the 12" sounded so good when I bought mine.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    39 pounds, to me, is pretty heavy. I've been lugging a 60 lb combo around for 4 years, and it's damn well time for a break.

16. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    60-39= 21 lbs lighter. ;)

I have to admit its a heavy 39 lbs. Feel more like 45lbs to me.
    But coming off of a 125 lb Mesa Buster combo , its like a feather.
    For about $80 more than the Bassman100, its the better choice. Your lows won't suffer nearly as much as with the single 10".

17. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    My Bassman 200 (black-face from a couple of years ago) is 65lbs, and fairly light as compared with most other amps with its rated power. I don't think you'll be able to get too much lighter and still have a solid bottom.

Given my weak back, though, my next amp will be likely have a separate cabinet & head to help split the weight. Note: The cabinet won't be 8x10"... ;)