Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Opinions on P-bass color.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 5, 2004.

1. I'm about to order some Warmoth parts to build another P-bass. I'm trying to visualize what it will look like.

The body is pewter. The guy at Warmoth described it as a dark Inca Silver. I planning on going with a pearloid pickguard and maple neck.

What do you think?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. we have a winner!

robb.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sounds like a good combination to me.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Why not? SOunds good to me. :cool:

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Our pewter is an in-house mix of inca silver and charcoal frost. The result is a shimmery medium-grey metallic. Another guy here described the look as "hematite", if you know what that is. Very cool color, IMHO.

Black pearl pickguard would be a nice match, if you're going top routed. Pewter is nearly the same color as our silver pearl pickguard material, so that might be too much of a good thing.

Edit: Oh, just re-read the original post. White pearl would make a nice 'guard, too!

7. I believe basses that have a metallic like finnish look great with a mirrored guard. I would go with a mirror.
    But a white pearloid would be cool too. IMO

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

:cool: :)

9. I think that the pickguard should always be as dark, or darker than the body of the bass, even if the body is black. I have a black Stingray with a black guard, and I thought it was too plain at first, now I love it. At the Ernie Ball site you can build an instrument online to see what it looks like before you buy. I built my black 'Ray only with a white pickguard, to me it looked like it was wearing a tuxedo. Too corny for me. To each his own.

Imagine a sunburst bass with a white pickguard, then a tortoise shell, then a black one.

Now, imagine the same with a white bass.

I'd go with black, or black pearloid as BWbass said. . It'll be a nice contrast with a maple neck.

Mike

10. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    black with a maple board looks so nice. I just bought a new maple jazz thats black on black and I love the looks.