1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Opinions on P-bass color.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 5, 2004.

1. I'm about to order some Warmoth parts to build another P-bass. I'm trying to visualize what it will look like.

The body is pewter. The guy at Warmoth described it as a dark Inca Silver. I planning on going with a pearloid pickguard and maple neck.

What do you think?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd hit it :bassist:

3. we have a winner!

robb.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sounds like a good combination to me.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Why not? SOunds good to me. :cool:

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Our pewter is an in-house mix of inca silver and charcoal frost. The result is a shimmery medium-grey metallic. Another guy here described the look as "hematite", if you know what that is. Very cool color, IMHO.

Black pearl pickguard would be a nice match, if you're going top routed. Pewter is nearly the same color as our silver pearl pickguard material, so that might be too much of a good thing.

Edit: Oh, just re-read the original post. White pearl would make a nice 'guard, too!

7. I believe basses that have a metallic like finnish look great with a mirrored guard. I would go with a mirror.
    But a white pearloid would be cool too. IMO

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

:cool: :)

9. I think that the pickguard should always be as dark, or darker than the body of the bass, even if the body is black. I have a black Stingray with a black guard, and I thought it was too plain at first, now I love it. At the Ernie Ball site you can build an instrument online to see what it looks like before you buy. I built my black 'Ray only with a white pickguard, to me it looked like it was wearing a tuxedo. Too corny for me. To each his own.

Imagine a sunburst bass with a white pickguard, then a tortoise shell, then a black one.

Now, imagine the same with a white bass.

I'd go with black, or black pearloid as BWbass said. . It'll be a nice contrast with a maple neck.

Mike

10. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    black with a maple board looks so nice. I just bought a new maple jazz thats black on black and I love the looks.