1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need opinions on potential purchase!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John McGraw, Aug 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM.

1. John McGraw

John McGraw

Aug 4, 2019
    Hey Folks! Recently joined as I've been tagged to play bass in an 80's cover band. This is my first bass gig although I've been playing and performing in bands as a guitarist for 30yrs.

I dusted off my '96 MIM P and gave it a decent set up (one of my new interests). I thought it was playing pretty well...until I slipped into GC and saw a used American Original in LPB on the wall. Thing felt substantially better in my hands and I'm tempted to buy it. Forget about the fact that I shouldn't spend the money right now! There are/were a couple of things that bothered me and I was curious what others thought.

The first is the grain on the back of the neck. There is a knot like circle that I have never noticed on any guitar neck I've ever played. Any thoughts on whether this is less than ideal?

Second, there are two visible but not tactile cracks in the finish on the head stock. Probably from the tuners being tightened too much. I don't think they're in the wood but still curious what others thought.

I imagine both of these things are just cosmetic blemishes and won't effect the integrity of the bass down the road but still looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance!

john in san diego IMG_2691. IMG_2692.

pjbassist likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Those look (to me) like finish cracks from over-tightening the tuners (not wood cracks). I wouldn't worry about them structurally.

3. John McGraw

John McGraw

Aug 4, 2019
    I agree. The finish was smooth to the touch. If nothing else, maybe it's a bargaining chip for a lower price.

Any thoughts on the neck grain? I'm sure it's fine also, but the look bothers my OCD! :/

john in san diego

zon6c-f, equill and jamro217 like this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    IMO the knot is a +, looks cool and is an easy ID if it ever gets stolen. cracks are bargaining leverage

5. It's not a knot, it's literally just the grain of the wood. It's totally fine

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

do it.

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd stick with the MIM until you're certain this is what you are going to do. I would buy new strings.

My other observation is that for the cost of this new Fender (The grain is fine, but I wouldn't buy a new bass with any flaws, even at a knock down price) you can find a much better bass in the Talkbass classifieds.

8. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    I agree

9. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I think that neck grain indicates a beautifully flat sawn neck. That's a good thing for minimizing twist potential.

Cardsfan_69, MVE, SJan3 and 3 others like this.
  10. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    I don't think I would worry much about the grain. The head stock issue would qualify for a discount. These are popping up on the auction sites so you can save some money. I personally would search for a fender AVRI 62 or 63. I just got Fender mim 50s precision that is awesome. Good luck on your search!

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think that answers your question.

Take heart. They’ll always make more.

12. Decal is scraped up to, I think something scratched up headstock. Neck grain looks fine to me. If you really like deal on the cosmetic issues

John McGraw likes this.
  13. John McGraw

John McGraw

Aug 4, 2019
    You guys have been great! I'm starting to really feel this thing!

It's listed at 70% of retail. I offered 60% and he said he'd check with his manager but I told him don't bother, I wasn't walking out with it.

Thinking I'll just trade in my MIM and possibly my MIJ medium scale P also. That will help ease the "pain." In this scenario I'll be out a few bucks but I will have downsized my instrument count and upgraded the quality. Sounds like a win, win!

john in san diego

14. MIJ medium scale is worth keeping, also would like to see serial number sticker on back of other one, usually those decals are under clear coat, just enough issues to look at everything

15. John McGraw

John McGraw

Aug 4, 2019
    The medium scale does have some sentimental value to me--I bought if for my son when he was playing bass as a preteen. He's since moved on but I do like the instrument and even though it just sits around maybe it's novel enough to keep?

Regarding the serial number, are you suggesting maybe it's not authentic?

john in san diego

16. Can you afford to buy the bass outright, then sell the other basses in local classifieds? You’ll get better prices and come out ahead. Definitely more time and hassle, but if the money is an issue....

But I’m all for consolidating, P basses, and getting an instrument you love! :thumbsup:

zon6c-f and John McGraw like this.
  17. John McGraw

John McGraw

Aug 4, 2019
    Oh yeah, I have the money to swing the deal without selling. I just hate dealing with CL especially when trying to sell common or over abundant equipment.

john in san diego

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  18. No, that’s a bit strong for me not knowing all the circumstances, but I guess I will just say what I am looking for. Serial will say US something, If it doesn’t then maybe a replacement neck someone threw a decal on. Just worth looking at, as far as the MIJ medium scale, those are hard to come buy would try to hold on to it, someday you might wish you did

19. Best wishes whatever you decide, Kevin

Fixitinpost, zon6c-f and jamro217 like this.
  20. Yeah, there is definitely a trade off there. So.... make up your mind yet? ;)