need opinions on running separate head into combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Does anyone think it's worth it to plug my hartke 3500 into the 12's in my hartke b120 combo amp. I'm not sure of the impedance of the combo amp's speakers, but I know most hartke combos are an 8 ohm load, but this confuses me since there are two speakers in there.

Quick question, when i turn the combo's amp past 5 it distorts, would I get more volume by bypassing the combo head and running the 3500 into the combo speakers (temporarily until I can afford a cab) or would distortion technically be at the same volume. I'd be pushing 2x as much power into it.

Any other reccomendations for this would be helpful, like wiring diagrams for adding an input to run the head into the combo. I gotta take a crap!
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't know for sure, but usually combo cabs are pretty well matched to their heads. You could get data on the drivers and see what they are rated at, but odds are your combo has just reached its designed limit. If I were you, I'd consider selling it and moving up either to a bigger combo or seperates.
  3. Im in the process:)... I was just wondering if it's possible to run the 3500 into the combos speakers for now and actually end up with more headroom or not:meh:, that iffy though because if the combo distorts at 5, its most likely the speakers and not the amp that are innefficient.

Like I said, I just recieved a hartke 3500 head in the mail on Wednesday, and I need a cab to go with it. Avatar seems promising, but his cabs are tuned so low, and I really need some punch for a low B. a 2x12 is too big if its bigger than a 4x10... Im looking for something that my jazz band director won't chew my ass for because its too big, and I want soemthing that other rock bassists in the school will admire. A new combo is out of he question as I already have a 3500 head and am halfway there to getting a halfstack... it'll take me 4 months maximum to save up for a new hartke 4x10 TP cab... Thats what I want, and I can always add a 15, and one of those would be great for jazz anyways...