1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need opionions on a bass to get for 200 dollars and under.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockinrainbowkitten, Oct 6, 2015.

1. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
    I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I'm dying to try a bass. I've been looking around and found a Dean bass that looks beautiful and sounds quite nice in my opinion. However, I don't know if it is worth the money. So if you could please give me some opinions on the Dean bass or suggest a bass that would be better for the price I would really appreciate it. I would like to find a bass that will suit me when I get better at playing, I'd prefer not to blow money on a cheap piece of junk and then have to buy another bass down the road. Thank you. Amazon.com: Dean Custom Zone Bass, Nuclear Green: Musical Instruments

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It's very important to try out a few basses, of course, but as long as the store you're buying from has a good return policy, it's not absolutely necessary if you're unable to.
    My first bass when I got serious about playing was this. Dean Hillsboro Single.
    256uxvk.jpg
    I bought it brand new for $115 because it needed the fret edges filed. Did the job myself.
    Great bass, nice active electronics, sounded better than the few Sterling SUB Rays I've owned. Very nice neck, too.

This used Dean Motto is for sale at the Guitar Center in Plymouth Meeting, Pa for $225. New, they were $499. Passive but very potent pickups.
    If no one buys it soon, I just might have to, but I'm hoping for a black one as I already have a red Fender Jazz bass.
    2mzm6ah.jpg
    And I just bought one of these last week. Dean Exotica.
    250ngih.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Lot of Squier fans around here. I own a Squier CV Jazz in Inca Silver and it's incredible. They're $375 though.
    The Jaguar is active. You might or might not like active basses.
    By the way, videos can be a bit deceptive.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Find yourself a Peavey Fury.
    Greatest bass under $200 you will find.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    LOTS of used Squiers there. That's where I would look -more bang for your buck.

Also, I would be more concerned with how it plays than how it sounds. You can easily swap either Precision or Jazz style pickups.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  7. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    The dean Hillsborough is much nicer than the one you linked, and with some shopping around not too much price difference. It's way better sounding/playing than anything in it's price range (sorry skwyre fanbois...). I bought one new on ebay a while back under $150 NIB.

rockinrainbowkitten and jd56hawk like this.
  8. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
    True but its the best i got you know. I was planning on getting a squire affinity precision bass, but that didn't end up working out sadly, guitar center made sure of that. I really liked the sound of the precision, and the Dean I'm looking at reminds me of it. I guess that's why I like it so much. It also helps that its my favorite color.

9. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    tuba_samurai and pcake like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I seldom buy without taking advantage of layaway. I never bought a bass for more than $400. I can't afford to.
    But I do go crazy now and then
    I bought a bass once just because it was pink.
    You have plenty of time to find a better bass someday and you probably will.
    If you like it because of the color, buy it. If it turns out not to be exactly what you hoped it would be, return it or sell it.
    I was going to buy that bass, same color, for a girl I know but she simply couldn't handle the full scale.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  11. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Oct 21, 2012
    Foxboro, MA
    Also, being a guitarist you might prefer a short scale. Both the Hillsboro and Jaguar have SS versions.

Short-scale and jd56hawk like this.
  12. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
    Whats the difference in the sizes? is it like a big difference, because I'm only 5'2" and I'm quite small.-. id hate to be too little to even play a full scale XD I was wanting a normal sized bass though. I don't mind changing things up, i adjust pretty well tbh. (sorry if i sound like a newbie) I'm pretty clueless when it comes to basses other than what I've researched.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

First of all, welcome to TB!

Regarding getting a good bass to start with - if it plays well and sounds good it's a good choice IMHO. What's even more important is that you start playing one.

When I started out I mostly played junk plus whatever else I could get my hands on. It definitely wasn't the best way to get into bass playing. But at least it got me into thinking and playing like a bassist. So don't get too hung up on your instrument. Because whatever you do get it's very unlikely it'll be the last bass you end up buying. So don't worry too much about it if you can.

In the $200 range there aren't a lot of choices if that's a firm number. The Dean you're looking at is just fine. Another choice might be a Vintage Modified Squier. But those run around $300 new unless you get lucky and find one you like on sale. Used is another possibility well worth exploring.

In the end it all comes down to what you like - and what you can afford. Because that doesn't change whether you have $200 or $2000 to spend. Trust me. There's always going to be something else you want to get if you're like most of us here.

So I'd suggest getting something that works for you and then get started. And don't worry to much about finding the ideal instrument. Sooner or later you'll find it. Or it will find you. That's the way it seems to work. Lord knows why. But it does.

Good luck. And welcome to the ranks of the purveyors of low noises fellow bassplayer! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  14. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Haven't played a Dean Zone but I do own two Dean basses and I'm really happy with them both.A Cabbie and an EAB.Squier makes some good stuff for under $200.I have an Affinity series P bass and its great.Got mine with a starter pack but just by itself its $179 new.I like the looks of the edge basses better though honestly.If I was looking for something new under $200 I'd probably get the Dean.

wmhill likes this.
  15. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    This is not Nuclear Green. It's Anti-Theft Green.:)
    71z5OpMQpRL._SX522_.jpg

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There's only one way to be sure.
    Stop by any Guitar Center (most of them have the Jaguar short scale) and try one out. Then, try a full scale Squier Jazz, etc.

rockinrainbowkitten likes this.
  17. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
    I didn't think about looking at it that way. You have some good points. I've tried looking for used ones, they're all either junk or way to far away from me ect. I'll probably end up getting the one i posted. It seems to have a good sound and it is beautiful in my opinion. Thank you so much for your help!

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Size never stopped Suzy Quattro. So if you're confortable with the standard 34" bass scale, just get one of those. If you discover you like the so called "short" or 30" neck scale, there's no shame in getting one if those. Many bass players prefer them. And they bring their own set of advantages plus a unique sound of their own to the party.

(Note: the scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge. "Short" is 30" and "standard" or "long" is 34". There are a few "medium" scale basses out there that are 32" or 33" - but they're not very common. most 5 and 6-string basses are usually 35" or longer with 35" and 36" being the most common scales. For reference purposes, a full size upright bass has a scale length of between 41" and 43". you can read more about it here. )

19. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Specifically the USA made models from the 80's and 90's. The best (and possibly only) deal on a solid USA made bass for less than $200. The Fury name was reused more recently on import cheapies, but the USA versions have either a P-bass pickup or -in the case of some 80's versions a slanted super ferrite pickup.

You might be able to find a Peavy Foundation (two pickups) for $200, but you'll have to look a bit harder as they tend to go for a bit more than that.

20. rockinrainbowkitten

rockinrainbowkitten

Oct 6, 2015
    As long as I can play it I don't care how big it is lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021