Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need opions on Scheter model T bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toneman, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I'm a lover of the fender P sound but when I went five string I was forced to use a fender J 5 because fender doesn't make a reg. passive P bass in a five string. I cant afford a Sadowski or Mike Lull vintage P but I can afford a Scheter model T five which is a passive P type of bass. Does anyone out there have any experience with this bass?

2. i think it's two j pups...not a P J combo...

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    relman it is a P / J combo but I'm mainly instrested in that P pup.can it give a fender P sound? and is the low B respectable. I'm gonna have to go try one. but I thought if someone on the forum had some hands on with it that would help me before I lay out the $500. I find that you have to own a bass to know what it can do. Playing it in the store isn't enough.

4. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    It's a great, warm yet snappy bass, that sounds best through a good solid state rig. I find it mushes out and is a little too warm with tube amps.

5. I'm really tempted to pick up one of the cheap ones on ebay. I think the only thing that's keeping me is that I have no room for a third bass.

6. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I bought one of the cheap ones on E-Bay. 5 string sunburst w/maple board, and P/J. It's my first fiver and for $250 a great deal. I played it for a week and it's now at a luthier to help with the setup.

The neck is narrow and an easy transition from a four. I have not played it through my full rig, but through my practive amp it had a pretty good tone. And I do not feel much floppiness in the B.

The one I got had a few flaws, namely the skunk stripe on the neck was rough, a minor blemish in the finish on the back and the concentric pots stick together a bit. The neck was also a bit out of alignment but should be fixable with a truss rod adjustment. Oh, and the frets needed polished.

I'll post again after I get it back this week and can take it to practice.

7. How's the balance on a strap??

8. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    :eek: I just realized that I played that bass for a week and it was all sitting down! I should get it back tomorrow and I have a practice tomorrow too. I promise to take it and report back :D

9. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I have a four string. the balance and tone are great. I love this bass, I feel the fit and finish are as good if not better then the fenders, imho The problem is that they went from the duncan designed pickups to an EMG p/j setup. I haven't heard them but im sure it still sounds great.:D Also the tuners on those e-bay model-T basses are different from the ones I have and the ones i've seen in the stores, or even in their catalog.

10. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Okay, here's my update...

The balance is very good. I felt no neck dive at all playing. Although the body seems to be a bit heavier than either my MIM Jazz or MIM P.

After fiddling with them a bit more, the concentric tone pots are okay, but not great. They still stick together when turning :rolleyes:. To my ears, the bass sounds best when the tone pots are both flat. Both down sounds a bit fuzzy, but both up gives a decent bright punchy sound.

Again, for $250 I have no complaints about this bass. It's a fair price for experimenting with an extra string :D