1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need overdrive/boost advice...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the fuhz, Mar 10, 2008.

1. the fuhz

the fuhz

Jan 4, 2008
    I've been contemplating getting a new pedal for my rig, however, I dont really know where to start looking. Im not hip to the terminology and all of the pedals available, so Im hoping someone here can help.

First off, I have a SWR Silverado II (2x12") combo amp (which has a tube pre-amp). And Im using a 1972 Fender 'mustang' bass with flat wounds.

Im trying to get that classic 60s overdrive tone, very similar to Donald Dunn's sound on 'hip hug her'.

So do I use a boost pedal and get the distortion by overloading the preamp? (btw, will that hurt the amp or speakers?)
    Or should I use a overdrive pedal and just turn down the distortion level?

To clairify, Im not trying to get a 'heavy metal' sound, I play 60's funk/soul (ie: no slapping, and no-mutron space tones).
    Just trying to emulate a P-Bass raging through an old Ampeg rig.

thanks alot I appreciate it,
    tf

2. the fuhz

the fuhz

Jan 4, 2008
    bump

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    A boost shouldn't hurt your amp or speakers, provided your speakers are designed to take as much juice as your head puts out. You've got a combo amp so you should be just fine. Just about any boost will do.

But there are also pedals that are meant to emulate the Ampeg sound and grind. The Sansamp Bass Driver DI is the most common example.