Need P-Bass electronics advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gander, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Hi, I am converting a Peavey Axcelerator 5 string to passive P-Bass. I will be stripping out all the Peavey electronics and installing a Bill Lawrence P46 P-Bass pickup with single volume and tone control. I need input on what pots and tone capacitor would work best for me. Also, where is the best place to buy them. Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

Check for parts.

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    IIRC, StewMac even has kits that include everything you need to wire a P-Bass, a J-Bass, a Strat, etc.

Though you could just copy down all of the components and probably get them for half the price from an electronics store. If you don't feel comfortable with that, by all means go with Stew Mac. I've ordered through them many a time.
  4. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Thanks for the input. A few more questions:

1. Has anyone tried the series/parallel switch on a P-Bass? It would be easy to install on this one. What does this do for the tone?

2. Would the s/p switch be a simple on-on switch with 6 poles?

3. The finish is black sparkle. What would look best for the pickguard I make for it, tortoise or silver pearl shown here?

Thanks again for your comments.