1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need PA Suggestions quick--

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by panaran, Apr 28, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    My bands supposed to play at this bar on May 16th but we have to supply our own PA equipment for the vocals. We were using a Yamaha PA that belonged to a member of our drummers former band. He was cool with us using it but i guess he started something else so he needs it back.

We have absolutely no idea what kind of PA to get. I think we can get a decent one with out budget, but I just have no clue about them since we never had to worry about it before.

We are all cool with chipping in like 200-300 bucks so thats 800-1200 we're looking at. It can be new or used, but i think we would mostly likely buy a used PA in good condition. Just looking for any suggestions. We would rather it be a package deal just for simplicity, but again we are pretty much open for anything.

this is the unit we played with. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX512SCS115V-PA-Package?sku=630193

That was a pretty good system, but we would like something with a little more umph. the PA needs to be at least as powerful as the Yamaha, but preferably a little more.

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I doubt you will find anything better or more powerful than the yamaha you were using in your price range. For more umph you will need to look at modular systems- passive mixer-seperate power amp. If you can find a used mixer with some powered speakers that would be another option.

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

4. I've used that system before on small vocal PA only gigs and i guess it was OK..

I really recommend you get a decent used mixer, pair it with a used power amp and try to source some decent passive speakers. Also it would be in your best interest to pick up a 31 band EQ (you can get those fairly cheaply). That'll give you the most oomph, and if you look around should be within budget. The EQ sections on those little combo boxes leave a lot to be desired - and you have no hope of dialing out unwanted frequencies if you have feedback issues. Also, if you go that way you have the option of adding on pieces as you pull in more cash, ie, pairing it with another power amp and subs for a full band mix, or even just adding in rack unit reverbs / compressors etc.