Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need passive 4.5" x 1.5" soapbars...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 6, 2003.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a 6 string bass and I wanted to swap out the pickups. I want passive pups, because I will probably be adding a preamp (3 knob like the J Retro) to it also. I like to play jazz and some classic rock covers. I like the sound of a Jazz pickup, but not sure if there are any soapbars that resemble that tone.

Not sure if it will play a role, but I might eventually defret this bass when I get a new 5.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As far as I know, only Bartolini and EMG make that soapbar size. Neither of which sounds like a vintage jazz pup. The bridge pup will growl using either of those two makes of pup, but it will be a different sound than a jazz pup.

BTW, you can use active pups with a preamp. The J Retro is definitely compatible with active pups.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    but it will not have a passive mode if active pickups are used with the preamp (to my knowledge). I like the option of passive. As far as pups, that was pretty much what I was afraid of (as far as sound). I tend to like more mids and treble. For example, I really don't prefer the low boomy sound of a pbass pickup. (bad example of type of sound, I know). The 6 string was too good of a deal not to snag, so I will make due with what is available.

Another thought, what if I do a coiltap switch on a soapbar. Would that sound any different?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    According to Bartolini's catalog, you can get the soapbars in different coil configurations. If I remember correctly, you could wire a soapbar in single coil mode, but it still won't sound exactly like a J pup.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I like the look of the quad coil (splittable) M5s. Are they passive or active? I couldn't tell from the site. Won't sound like a J, but it will be ok. For $210 I definately can't complain about the bass having 45 size soapbars.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Bartolini pups are passive.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    great, sounds like I found a replacement pup. Thanks for the help.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    sorry, one more thing

I saw that they had a triple coil. Is that a phantom coil that helps prevent hum when doing a coil split?

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yes, but I don't believe that they offer the triple coil in a 4.5 x 1.5 soapbar.

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Listed as the M56E (deep tone) and M56EX (bright tone)

It lists the quad coil and split coil separately. Unfortunately they also list for 180-200. Know any sites with cheaper prices?

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Jack Read (readcustom.com) sells them for a discount.

The E pickups have a dummy coil for hum-cancelling single coil wiring. The M pickups are split-coil P style wirings. The quad coil gives you the most possible wirings.

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I've bought from Jack Read before. He is a great guy and knows alot about the pickups he sells.