1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need pickguard screws for my '76 Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rotwang, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    I recently bought a Bicentennial Thunderbird, and want to replace a couple of pick guard screws that are a little rusty. I looked on Stew-Mac and WD, and they have nickel not chrome ones. Does anyone know what size/type screws I need? Could I get repro- type screws at one of the Mega-hardware stores? Thanx!!

2. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    If you don't have the desire to be period correct you could easily check out the big box hardware sections or the smaller hardware (like Ace in my area) specialty screw selections. Not sure of your size but I just replaced the PG screws on my Lakland with #4 x 1/2" stainless, oval head Phillips screws from Home Depot and they look exactly like the originals (just not as ridiculously long). And, being stainless, will probably resist rust a bit better. Got 8pc for under a dollar. They have a chrome (or 'metal') variant as well but the SS screws were just higher quality and better looking. Flat head version too. Once installed you won't look twice at them.

Here's what they look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Take one of yours with you for correct size though as yours might not be a #4 screw.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Nickel will be fine. Many 60's Thunderbirds had mixed nickel/chrome hardware and '76s had nickel tuners.

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've replaced them on one of my restored '76s, I know I used some Allparts nickel ones.

5. Maybe just go to the source--call Gibson.

6. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    I'll go with Allparts. How about those fbird/tbird eagle straplocks they sell? I think I'll by a set of those as well.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Call Gibson oh please, funniest thing I've heard all day.

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I've seen those they're fun - go for it!
    Current Gibson ones are smaller IIRC, BTW.