Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Pickup Recommendation(s)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by int, Jan 23, 2002.

1. So I got a new American Deluxe P-Bass a little over a week ago and love it. I'll probably hange the pickups out later, and possibly the neck, but in the meantime...

I have a year and a half old Carvin B4. Swamp Ash body, with a clear finish. Active electronics. I ordered a Carvin neck earlier today, after trying out a few others of course, and I want to throw out the pups on it. I've read some great things about the Bartiloni Quad Coils (the ones focused on fretless basses), but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there. I'm looking for a lot of mid range growl mostly, and I can use the electronics to make up any bass or treble that is lacking. The H50 Carvin pickups in it now are flat and boring. A little color would be nice.

Anybody wanna buy some pickups? ;) :)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean - pickups are the Achilles heel of Carvin basses.

Two Jazz-style replacements that rated about the highest in Bass Player's J Pickup Shootout are the

- Basslines SJB-2

- Bartolini 9W4J

The number of coils in Barts offers no magic. I talked to the guy who heads up Bartlolini for the eastern US. He said the number of coils just relates to the number of switch position options you need, (e.g., if you have switches for the split coil option, phase options, etc.).