Need pickup recommendations for John Patitucci bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 8, 2018.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Washington
    My old trusty Yamaha TRB-JP1 (John Patitucci) has been with me for a long time. The pickups/preamp have never really blown me away, in fact, I feel something may be off (maybe why it was being sold).
    Anyway, I've come to the point where I've thought maybe I can replace the pickups and preamp. There are so many options, what are your favorites and WHY?
    I love a modern tone (think: Fodera), I don't do any slapping, and I love clarity. To compare, I also have a Warwick Infinity with MEC pickups, and anytime I record that, it's night and day how clear and defined the Warwick is.

It is a 9V active bass now. And uses the thin J-style 6-string pickups (not fatter, Aguilar type).

Thanks!

2. Back in the 90s I knew a busy tech that had a drawer full of trb preamps that he'd replaced. I'm afraid the old yamaha pres don't enjoy the best reputation for tone. So i'd recommend pulling it out or wiring a bypass switch so you can hear the bass passively. You will lose that treble clarity of course, but you'll be able to hear if the pickups have potential.

lz4005 likes this.
  3. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Washington

Very interesting. I've had a few studio engineers spend a lot of time asking me to adjust knobs and thinking it was lacking, so this reasserts that idea.
    Thanks for the tip!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021