1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need pickups for my fender jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by trenken, Oct 11, 2017.

1. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    I need to replace the stock fender pickups on my new 5-string active fender jazz. My fingers are constantly hitting the pole pieces on both pickups, making a little crackle/pop sound.

I found these which Im assuming will fit the bass. Has anyone used these, or similar SD pickups? I never have, don't know how they sound. Im not that picky, but I just want to make sure they dont sound completely terrible before I order them. I doubt they do, but figured I would ask here anyway.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/active-5-string-stack-jazz-bass-bridge
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/active-5-string-stack-jazz-bass-neck

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Are the Dual-Coil Ceramic Noiseless™ pickups in your current bass active, or does it just have a preamp with passive pickups?
    If the qualifying factor for calling it Active is having the preamp, then you'll need to find a spot to put a second battery for the S.D. pickups.

3. If the only problem is the pole pieces, then you will get better results by simply replacing the pickup covers with ones that don't expose the poles.

4. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Will these even fit my bass? I saw this note on the SD site for these pickups. NOTE this is a traditional sized 5-string Jazz Bass pickup and will not retrofit Fender Jazz V models

5. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Can you get me a link to what I need?

6. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I used to get pop on my G&L, but it was from the string striking the pole piece, not my fingers.
    Maybe lowering the pickup(s) a little would help.

If it is noise from your fingers touching the poles, you could ground the poles, assuming the other end of the poles are protruding from the back of the pickups.

7. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Tried lowering them. Cant get them low enough. Still hitting them. What about these pickup covers the other guy mentioned? Can someone get me a link to them? I dont want to get the wrong thing.

8. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Try putting a strip of electric tape over them before you spend a bunch of money on stuff.

Love_Bass, radmin, gregmon79 and 5 others like this.
  9. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    I really dont want to do that. It's going to look ugly. Idc about money. Just want to fix it right. Either new pickups or covers.

10. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    IDC about money- :thumbsup:

kulit17, gregmon79 and wes stephenson like this.
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Check out the Bartolini 57J1 L/S 5 string set.

DavC likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Ah OK. Just go buy stuff then! Bartolinis don't have exposed poles but they also sound like balls.

13. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Ha, I agree, can't stand blackout pickups, with one exception.

Just change your technique. I usually find my way to the spot between the pickups by temporarily jamming my thumb up under the bottom (bridge-side) of the neck pickup, & start playing from there.

Sartori likes this.
  14. Hyball27

Hyball27 Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ventura County, CA
    Well that’s an opinion.
    I have Bartolinis in my jazz and they sound great

kopio, Pbassmanca and Charlzm like this.
  15. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    In that case, trash your Jazz and buy a new bass with no exposed pole pieces

What he was trying to tell you is, put tape over the pickup as a test to see if that solves the problem before going and buying new pickup covers that may not solve your problem.

Sartori and HolmeBass like this.
  16. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well obviously they dont crackle if i dont touch them :eyebrow:. I dont need tape to find that out.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    FenderB and wes stephenson like this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Fair enough

18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    i use Barts in my Jazz 4 & 5 strg ...

you can also put some Clear nail polish over the exposed poles ..!! that will stop the magnetic grounding when touched ...

or install a " ramp " to help correct digging in to deep , striking across the string versus down/thru ...
    i play hard rather often , getting into that down/thru territory , but i usually play close enough to the bridge so i don't hit the pickups or cause the string to vibrate excessively ...

19. coat the pole pieces with clear nail polish that may take care of the noise and no one can see it.

jallenbass likes this.