1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need pics of Neck thru's with complete back laminates.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    It seems that everywhere i look, i see neck thru basses without full back laminates. They usually just do the body wings. Or if they do do a full back lam, they do it in 3 pieces. I want to see pics of either single or 2 piece back laminates on a neckthru, because i am going to try and pull it off, but i dont see many pics of them.

2. I've done a 3-piece back lam...but what's to see? 2-piece? 1-piece? All you need to do is find the right slab of wood.

One thing you should do, though, is to cut out any and all cavity covers with a scroll saw before you glue the back lam down. Once the back lam is down, then you can use the cutouts as templates to rout out the cavities themselves. Covered with grain-matched covers, it is a nice touch.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Now i have major gas for a nordstand bass! Erik, do you mind posting a pic of the back of your bass (the one in your avatar). Im just trying to see how people execute the transition from the body lam, to the neck. Nordstand achieves this transition with style!!!

4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Marchlewski:
    [​IMG]

more Nordstrand:
    final3.

Benavente:
    [​IMG]

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    This bass is so damn beautiful. He does a set neck right? But how does get that little black wave in there. Is it a piece of ebony laminated to the back of the neck while still square?

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    its done by using the "heel block method"
    they use a set neck of a 4/4 piece of wood to do the neck. requiring a scarf joint at the headstock heel.
    to raise the 4/4 to the 7/4 most basses are that block is added to add thickness to 6/4 or 7/4 to the back laminate.
    My oracles and scd have them too.
    that camphor burl nordie has the ebony block at 3/4 and another black limba on top of it (or below) nitoce the black limba grains are different in the body wing and the section below the ebony heel block (2 pc block)
    attached.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Don't forget to look at JPbasses.com and Elrick, when you consider NT heels.

Then, having seen a lot of different approaches, you will need to decide what you want: a true NT heel (JP), an 'almost BO' heel (Nordie), or something inbetween.

By playing, I have reached my opinion, that something inbetween, but more to the JP, is my liking. YMMV, of course...

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Everything on this page except the Marchlewski looks like a set neck to me.

9. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    You are correct sir!

10. +1

11. MMMMMMMMMM

valval_bodybackL.

12. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    true, and SN's will probably be the majority of basses with full back lams too...

but they still look hot. :D

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's not much more difficult to do a full-width back for a NT than for a set neck. The top is a different story. I think that's why you see more set-necks with full-width tops and backs.

I think it tends to look strange on a neck-through. Maybe I should try it again.