Need Pics of Sadowsky Figured Tops-Natural Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Oct 28, 2003.

1. I've looked through the Sadowsky Site pretty close. I've only come up with a few pictures of Natural finishes with Quilt and Flame Tops. I'm pretty sure I want Natural but am undecided on Quilt or Flame. I have been doing a lot of cut and paste to get an idea of what I want. Have not quite seen the pattern I'm looking for yet. It is too hard to tell with the colors so please don't include those. Fred's bass #3887 was my inspiration for this one, nice bass Fhodshon.

Please add your Sadowsky # so I can reference.

Thanks for any help.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    thanks Mr. String.

she's a player as well as a looker!

my fave fretted.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think Jeff Rader has one of the nicest spalts I've yet to see...

I believe it's his, I could be wrong...
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

jeff's fretless sadowsky is a stunner!

5. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    As jared said, why not going Spalted?

6. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    BTW here is Masterfunk's PJ5:

Nice natural quilt on this one!
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that Jeff's spalt-topped fretless is my all-time favorite basses. Although I didn't get within 10 feet of it when I had the opportunity to visit with Jeff. I just had to keep my GAS in check. But that bass looks and sounds magical.

But, as far as I know, Roger doesn't make a habit of using spalted wood.
  8. Roger has a nice sized stock pile of spalt maple billets. I saw 'em last summer at the shop. Go for it if you like.
  9. I don't know the s/n but...[​IMG]
  10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

What would Dan Lankin think right now if he saw this thread? :D

As far as Sadowsky tops go, my favorite is a quilted cherry sunburst.

BTW, the 322 is starting to grow on me. I will take it to its second gig tommorrow. I will se how she fares.

Good luck on the search. If I was not investing 3K in a new PA. A Sadowsky would be my # 1 priority.
  11. Jason,
    Dan is an A-#1 Class Act. I'm sure he doesn't care what I spend my money on, besides I've got two beautiful Laklands, as you know, and I've had six all together. Right now I'm focusing a used Cobra Mustang to work on but I don't think the Bass World gives a hoot about that... The Sad is another story. They happen to offer a PJ in a Jazz body and thats a what I like. :D

Glad you're givin the Bergie some more time, it's a great cab, but I admitt is was not for me. Keep me posted I really would be happy if it worked out for you.

Everyone else thanks, keep'em coming. I do like the spalted but I'm set on a pick guard and can't imagine to well what that would look like.. :meh:
  12. Thanks, Guys! :)

Mine was the first spalted Roger built and since then he is offering spalted maple as an option.

13. Jeff, not to be too big of a pain, but do you have some other shots, say from the side or back?
  14. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Jeff> what I really like in your bass is that the spalted maple is also flamed!

Big String> here is a pic of the back of my bass. I assume Jeff's bass look like this also.

15. FWIW, the back of my spalt PJ4 is alder in natural finish.
  16. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    forgot to say that mine is ash.
  17. I don't have any here at the office, but I can post one when I get home. I does look vert similar to Ari's ash back.

The craftsmanship is simply flawless.

18. But, as far as I know, Roger doesn't make a habit of using spalted wood. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is there any reasoning behind not using Spalted?
    Or did you mean it's just not as popular? I'm pretty sure if I got this bass I wouldn't want to sell it (famous last words) but if so the resale might appeal to a lesser crowd. I just always factor the resale thing into my choices out of my own habit.

Anyway, I'm really starting to like it. I had some time to cut and paste a Tortise pickguard on it and although it didn't fit well due to the different body shape, I think it looks real good with a Morado board too. The redish wood melds well with the Tort and darker spalt.

Thanks Jeff if you have time to post somemore pics. I'm very picky about certain things and not being able to see and touch an instrument really bugs me to no end. Can't go to NYC right now though...