1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need pointed in the right direction!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by THC_Country, Jun 6, 2017.

1. So I recently started playing bass played guitar for years, so don't really know what direction to go as far as bass amps. I have been looking into markbass,eden, and hartke but don't know much of what I'm getting into. I have played markbass and was definitely leaning that direction but the price tag is a lil much, not say I'm not willing to spend the money. Definitely wanting to go with 4/10 cab and head or combo set up. I'm looking for a strong low end with a good thump but also clean on the hi-end

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    What's your max budget?

Genre?

Venue size?

Available transportation?

wintremute likes this.
  3. $1000
    Soul,funk,hip hop and r&b
    Venue size small-large
    Transportation not a issue

4. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Also, which bass do you use?
    Are you open to used equipment?
    Approx. where are you?
    Why a 4x10?

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What country do you live in? Filling out your profile fully helps us help you!

6. American standard jazz
    I'm in Illinois couple hrs south of Chicago
    Honestly on the 4/10 setup just heard they have good versatility but not against something different

7. Fender Rumble 500 combo on top of a Fender Rumble 210 cabinet. $1,100 Full Retail, so make your best deal. Strongest bottom end in the business. Puts the ump in thump. Is as clean as you want it to be. If you like that squeaky clean classic Nashville sound, you need Fender.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Then add a second 2x10 later for a 4x10 vertical stack. :thumbsup:

9. The combo is a 210, and the very same 210 as the Rumble 210 cabinet. In fact the boxes are also the same. It is the most perfect 210+210 vertical bass array ever conceived and manufactured by mankind. :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

LeftyD likes this.
  10. SpruceApple

SpruceApple Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    As long as you don't mind schlepping a 410, there's a Mesa D800+ available in the TB classifieds right now for $679. BUY IT NOW! It will sell very soon, with 4.5 years left on the transferable warranty.

Then start shopping for a used 410, which you will have no problem finding a good one for $350.

11. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    My pardon but I was remiss in not welcoming you to TalkBass where men are men and sheep are nervous! :D

12. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I thought it was clear that he's in THC Country.

THC_Country and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  13. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    In my mind THC is the active ingredient in weed.

Lvjoebass and Bim1959 like this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    MarkBass kinda has their own sound. If you want that, then that's pretty much what you need to go for. I suggest shopping used to save some money. Also, welcome to TalkBass!

Now, based on what style of music you're playing, the bass you're playing, and the sound you like, I suggest you go check out some GK amps. A GKMB410 combo is about $900 new. Guitar Center has a used one going for $599.

However, also at GC, they have a used MarkBass 104HF for $599. They have a Little Mark III for $390. With shipping, that will probably put you over your $1000 budget, but if you have some wiggle room it will get you what you want.

15. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    If you have somewhere to check out GK try the 4x10 and the 2x12 MB's. I came very close buying to the 212. Smaller,lighter and less expensive than the 4x10.

16. Lol thank you

17. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    If there isn't a sense of urgency with this purchase, I suggest lurking around and perusing "show your rig" threads past and present. Use the search with cabs or amps you are interested in, etc. Welcome to the madhouse.

Edit, haha
    Don't overlook the stickies at the top of the forum page ;)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  18. How does the gk handle a 5 string??

19. All the information is much appreciated thank you!!

20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Personally, I like your idea of getting 4x10, if you're not quite sure what you want/need yet. It's a good safe bet for most situations. And since they're not super in-vogue these days, you can probably snag a great one used, for cheap, then spend more on getting a nicer head. I also think you can't go wrong with Markbass. Everything I have heard or played through has been killer. But I would also say that about Mesa, GK, and Ampeg, depending upon the model.

The main thing I would be careful of in your situation is getting a head that isn't quite loud enough for your edge-case volume needs. It's easy to do. An amp can sound way loud enough in the store, at home, or even in the band room, but then you add another guitarist, or play a weird room, and you can't hear yourself, and have no room to turn up.

Good luck!

THC_Country likes this.