1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need power strip for rackmount amp and preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucas303, Aug 10, 2020.

1. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I've recently put together a rack setup with separate pre and power amp. They're in a 4U SKB rack case, so I have 1U space left. I'd like to integrate some sort of power strip inside the rack case with a long cord so that I can plug the pre and power amp into it and then I'd just need to mess with the power strip's cord (not only for convenience, but also because the power cord on the power amp is fairly short). Does anyone have ideas for a cheap solution?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Pm me, I'm scrapping out some pro audio systems and I think there are some in the racks.

JGbassman, Ruknrole, timmo97 and 20 others like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    There are tons of them out there from really simple power only, to sophisticated conditioning, rack lights front and back, some are metered for incoming voltage.
    Amazon has them from 50 bucks, Furman has been around for years and makes about 20 models. Surgex makes outstanding ones in the $800 range.
    There are tons of choices, and always avail. used on marketplace/craigslist.
    You local music store will have Furman.

Late edit see above^

4. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    @Paulabass Yeah, I've seen the more elaborate stuff but I'm specifically looking for something as simple as possible. I apologize for not being clear enough about that in the OP.

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  7. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    JimmyM likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive Suspended

Sep 14, 2010
    I'm guessing you mean a rack mounted strip.
    Not just a normal power strip. I like the older metal power strips that are somewhat harder to find. And just mount them to the side of the case in the back. They usually have heavy gauge wire and longer cords on the older style power strips

gitfiddl, RyanOh and lucas303 like this.
  9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    How do you mount it to the inside of the case?

10. BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Older case strips had 2 metal taps for screws. And I'd just screw them to the rack wood.
    It's a unusual thought because most strips these days don't have mounting holes. Even some older plastic strips had 2 holes on the bottom. Where there is a larger hole to allow a screw head. Then it just slides down and somewhat locks into place in a more narrow slot

gitfiddl and lucas303 like this.
  11. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I don't think my rack case has any wood in it. There's just metal and plastic.

12. BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    You'd have to mount with pop rivets or mounting screws/bolts. Unless you eventually go to a wood case. I liked the cases with wood / tolex and chrome corners for a somewhat traditional head look.
    Or use a strong hook/loop strip, basically heavy duty Velcro for a plastic type rack case

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Polk Salad, DJ Bebop and lucas303 like this.
  13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    What? They don't have duct tape where you're from? o_O

steelbed45, Ruknrole, HCF and 2 others like this.
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    As a general not regarding power strips, many are not designed and/or built to UL safety standards. Even those that include UL on the label (which would be a counterfeit or fraudulent use of the UL mark). A quick search on the UL IQ listed/recognized product directory database shows that many of these products have not in fact been examined for compliance, nor do the companies maintain the required factory UL inspections. These insure that non-compliant (usually cheaper) parts are not being substituted during the production process.

This is a major issue. Every year there are multiple fires all over the country with tragic results. Most of these that involve power strips are due to improperly designed, non-compliant and non-listed devices. The desire to save a few dollars, or to be the cheapest, is irresistible to a lot of people (both customers and manufacturers) yet the money saved is never enough to cover the cost of hospitalization and burial.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Forget that Technical Pro uint I showed you. Reading Amazon reviews of it was really back and forth.

lucas303 likes this.
  17. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've got a solution worked out.

18. Furman makes good stuff. I’ve been using their power supplies since the 90s. Pl-8 for racks and a couple years ago I started using the the ss6b power strip. 2451B4C0-F822-4A4E-91E4-3F4849CDB0AB.jpeg EF15509D-67E3-4ECD-82F0-30D8875CFC6D.jpeg Personally I’ve come to like the power strip format more. For one Don't want to bring a rack power strip when using certain amps (like my Mesa subway for example) but also i think it’s nice to have the power on the floor onstage behind the amps. Solves a lot of issues with power at some of the places I play. Where to plug in my pedal board and stuff. I also got too old for digging around inside the back of a rack on dark stages when the singer wants to plug in their wirelesses or guitar player or keyboard player wants to plug into it also because the power at the venue is shady.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You can get 6 outlet rack ear power strips on Amazon pretty cheaply. If you need power and not a true power conditioner.

Also, I have an SKB 4 space with some gear that I still mess with at home, I mounted an eared power strip to the back of the rack. The molded reinforcements where the handles are cut, there is a flat surface on both sides. Just use self tapping screws. Easy peasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-N...ocphy=9028322&hvtargid=pla-309420854336&psc=1

lucas303 likes this.