Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Practice Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by 6-stringjazz, Jun 2, 2001.

1. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I just started the upright after 3 years of electric playing. Can anybody suggestg to me some good books, or musical pieces to buy for good music reading lessons?

2. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well you should have Simandl 1.

And a teacher.

It's difficult to say too much more without knowing what sort of music you want to play, where you're at with playing/reading, etc.

But having a teacher will help resolve a LOT of that.

-dh

3. I'm working my way through the Rabbath book (vol. 1).. it's very good. Also use the George Vance method.

Get a teacher. I'm taking 1-hour lessons every other week, and I'm progressing MUCH faster than I thought I would (even with 16+ years of electric experience). I'm also not learning any bad habits.

-a

4. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I have a teacher, and a good one at that. I'm not that stupid, I was just looking for other opinions.

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK, so the question becomes, what do you want to get out of the music? Do you need practice reading bass clef, tenor clef, treble clef, rhythms. What sort of style?

-dh

6. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Well, I need help reading bass clef, I need something that is basic but will bring up something that is challenging, but managable. Preferebly Classical.Thanks!!

7. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well there's a collection of bach organ bass lines transcribed for db that would probably be right up your alley. I only have a handful of photocopies from it & I don't think I have more info, but perhaps another participant here can come up with more details.

-dh

8. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Thanks a bunch dohesk!!!