Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need preamp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    One of my basses is an old P-Bass and I'm interested in finding an external preamp (rack or pedal) which would give it some versatility and allow me to get a crisper tone when slapping. Granted, there's only so much you can do with a P-Bass as far as that is concerned, but what would you guys recommend for a solid preamp to get a good slap tone out of a P-Bass?

Apologies if this has been beaten to death in the past.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can't really comment on slapping around a P bass but I've been favorably pleased with my Aguilar DB 924. It's built like a tank and really seems to preserve the original tone of my basses. It sure give a nice boost to a passive bass. ;)

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you are looking for an on-board pre-amp raven-labs has just come out with one for P-bass that needs no routing. External pre boxes -- Sansamp BDDI, Sadowsky, Fodera, etc.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out the Dudepit....there is a Raven labs section there and you can get some info there. The Dude has good prices on them.......anything built by Steve Rabe is going to be quality stuff.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Right on - thanks, all.

I went ahead and ordered the Fodera 2000, which supposedly gives great slap tone from the tests I've read.

Thanks again!