Need preamp/DI/practice all-in-one unit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzel, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Hi all. I doubt an affordable (under $200 for me) unit like this exists, but I'll throw it out there just to see if I've missed something in the research I've done so far.

I'm looking for a unit which will serve as a high-quality preamp with built-in D.I. for live situations, but which will also serve as a practice amp with CD player in and headphones out capability. I've looked at the Sadowsky preamp/D.I. stompbox, but it has only one input. Same goes for the Sansamp Bass Driver D.I. There is also the Raven Labs PHA-1, but it lacks a built-in D.I. The Cafe Walter HA-1 is strictly practice.

So I am obviously looking for an extremely versatile, but simple unit which, if it exists, eludes me. I don't need/want these multifx machines like the Pandora or Pods. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The only one I know of is the EBS MicroBass II, that's not going to fit your budget though.
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I belive Tascam do something called a 'Bass Phrase Trainer' or something like that. No idea on budget but itll fit everything you need.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, Id try Google.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Tascam doesn't have DI
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A used ART Tube Channel. 1/4 trs out for your stage monitor, XLR w gnd lift for the DI. 4 band semi-parametric and optical compressor. Insert points beteween the EQ and Comp. Very musical sounding pre in a 1 ru form factor for low-dough.

I am slowly acquiring a rack of these things. I have one in my full time bass rig, and three more in my studio rack as channel strips as they smoke the channel strips on my Tascam.

They made three models in this series.
    1/2 rack sized Tube EQ, 1/2 rack sized Tues PA (Pre & Compressor) and th Tube Channel which combines them into 1 ru.

I also have a Tube EQ which makes a decent pre but I use it on my drum machine in conjunction with another compressor to kick it up a notch as the fat boy says...

If you can find them used, these are really nice musical sounding boxes, built like tanks.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    save your dough for an Avalon U5. has a headphone out, and plenty of juice to drive a power amp. cant imagine my life without mine.

check up on ebay. i've seen a few go for $375 or so.
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    One-Nil. :)
  8. SWR Intestellar Overdrive.

This is a preamp with a nice DI output, and an 8w power amp output. It would drive something efficient like a D410XLT or JBL setup just fine for practice.
  9. Hmmm the EBS is perfect but expensive, typical isnt it!

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great album! ;)
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Sadowsky RSD-1 has preamp, headphone practice amp, and DI all in one. The problem is finding one, it's been discontinued for couple of years. I have one and it's an awesome unit.
  12. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If I were to use a U5 as my preamp with a passive bass would I be a fool?
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's a bit out of your price range but a used swr grand prix ($275) can do all of that
  14. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    a used digitech bp-8 would do everything, but probaly not a "high quality preamp"
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no way!

some of the settings are a bit similar to one another, so you might get maybe 3-4 distinct sounds. but for me, that's enough.

and besides, IMHO, there's plenty of control with your pickup volumes and tone control.

also, the U5 is all about your bass and fingers w/ a little magic thrown in for good measure. so, its sorta expected that your bass sound great for the U5 to really do its thing.
  16. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    The EBS microbass2 is a great DI preamp.
    I have tried it last month, and I was really surprised by the tone of this stompbox.
    You can compare it to a TD350 sounding, with a bright switch and without compression.
    The drive section is the same to td350 and multidrive std and tubesim.

Really really good stuff.
  17. Does anyone know if the EBS MicrobassII clean sound is comparable to the U5? Would be nice since the EBS is half the price of the U5 here in DK.
  18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  19. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
  20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH