1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need PU - PA Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by androprabowo, Jul 24, 2016.

1. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    I'm planning to build a custom bass with this spec :
    - JB body shape
    - Black Limba body
    - Wenge neck
    - Rosewood fb
    - Set neck construction
    Which PU-PA should i use to maximise "tone wood" character? I heard that Noll and Glockenklang is more "neutral" sounding (imho) and I don't have any idea about PU. Prefer 2 soapbar than Single coil. Any input will much appreciated. Regards.

2. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Is there no advice? Lol

3. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    IMO, Aguilar's super doubles are very clean compared to the dcb's that have a strong midrange.

4. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Comparing to bartolini's line up? Any thoughts?

5. Coreythebassman

Dec 5, 2010
    Barts are really warm imo and if you are looking for something transparent, they are about the furthest thing from that.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Most likely no one wants to take the "Tonewood" bait ...

40Hz and Coreythebassman like this.
  7. Coreythebassman

Dec 5, 2010
    I tried to help while dodging that part lol. But you are right, most of us who frequent the electronics forums aren't exactly the "tonewood" type ;)

40Hz likes this.
  8. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Lol. I should rethinking about those "tonewood" anw i will dig those aguilar line up. Thank you

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It could be fairly hard to find a pickup that advertises itself as having a neutral character.

"Character" is what pickups are all about. And the makers go out of their way to develop either a signature sound for their product line; or to offer pickups whose tonal character closely matches those of classic and much sought after pickups of the past.

When it comes to a pickup that was specifically made to have an uncolored sound, I think you may be chasing a unicorn.

10. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Maybe Lace Alumatone or Delanos?

11. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Maybe the most uncoloring among the pickups these days. Based on user experience of course

12. androprabowo

androprabowo

Feb 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    I'll check them later