1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need purchase advise on used Cremona...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by scourb, Mar 12, 2013.

1. scourb

scourb

Mar 12, 2013
    Hello,

I live in a small town in the backwoods of North Carolina and I've been looking for a local cheap double bass for the past few years. Well, today I walk into my town's pawn shop and, low and behold, a double bass is in the instrument section. It has a decent, mellow tone and seems like a pretty good bass, though it's the first I've messed with (You'd figure with living in the hills of NC that there'd be plenty of double basses around, but that isn't the case, at least around where I live). The only info I have on it is that it is a Cremona bass, no model # was attached to it and the staff wasn't all that helpful either.

Mar1312020354.

They're asking $800 for it... Seems a bit steep to me, because it's in a little rough shape, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Run away?

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What he said.

4. rather steep price for a used Cremona. They're well loathed here and for good reason (I had one, yuck). I wouldn't buy it, honestly, they're a waste of money.

There's a very good double bass luthier in NC (Asheville area?) and he's a TB member who might be able to help you with a proper beginner's DB.

Hopefully someone here can get his name/info because unfortunately I don't remember his name :meh:

5. James Condino. DEFINITELY talk to him, DEFINITELY avoid that overpriced, hacked-up piece of crap.

6. Doh! Thank you :cool:

OP: check out the "How To Buy Your First Double Bass" wiki here as well, lots of good advice.

7. scourb

scourb

Mar 12, 2013
    Wow, okay... Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I'll avoid that bass like the plague, then. I'll be looking that guy up for sure. Again, thanks for all the advice/info. :)

James