Need quick answers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Jan 19, 2006.

1. I am looking at buying a Mesa Boogie D-180 as my first tube amp. It is old and obviously beat up, but hey, its 25 years old, and I really dont care. My main question is:
    On the power tubes, there is a peice of metal that goes around it. There is a little bit of surface rust on it...What does this effect? Could this be a serious problem? I am really interrested in this exact make and model of amp. I am considering bidding, but I dont want to until I know it wont effect it. I called the guy and says it works wonderfly, although he has had it in his basement most of the time he has owned it (for 10 years). Less than 30 hours on the tubes and such, so I am not really worried about much else but this rust.
    Please help me, only a few days left.

P.S. If anyone outbids me from here on this site I am going to throw a fit :D :bag:

Thank you for helping everyone...
  2. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I haven't used a big old heavy tube amp in years, but I believe the rings you are talking about are flanges, two per tube, that simply hold a tube in place; they need to be depressed to change the tube. I wouldn't worry at all about a little rust on them. Good luck on your bidding!
  3. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    those things always get rust,it's more like pitting but my bass 400 that i use to own ,always had that rust on there.
  4. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    ditto on the rust, though I remeber someone asking about that same D180 on eBay the other day. I hope its you. Good Luck.

Mine sounded really sweet last night at practice. Channel one can really put an overzealous guitar player in his place :bassist:
  5. looks like a beater but its already my baby and i dotn even have it...I am guarunteed to get one someday... Hopefully not years down the looks so pretty even though its old as hell. hopefully I win this one..
    Thank you everyone..

If I get it I will def post my thoughts :hyper: