1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need RCA help :/

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aurian4parker, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. I know this isnt about guitar. but my band has a gig coming up.

    we got a keyboard that has an RCA outputs.

    Since RCA is really two(the red and white) how would we be able to get the keyboard to plug into a pa?

    And if we get a converter can we just get one converter? or two for each output?

    Or could we just plug in a 1/4 into the "phones" jack and get a 1/4 to xlr cable that goes straight into the pa. would that work?

    Please help!

  2. Most PA system are in Mono (ie. not stereo). A lot of keyboards use the left output as the mono, but this may not be the case for you.

    Either way, keyboards generally interface with the PA via DI box.

    Simplest solution, get an RCA to 1/4" cable.
    Best solution, get a stereo keyboard DI box with RCA inputs (possible?) and switchable mono/stereo options to take advantages of clubs with a stereo PA (not many)
  3. So just a simple RCA to 1/4 cable would do?

    What about an RCA y cable into 1/4?

    would i lose any output volume if i just plugged in one RCA to a 1/4 into the PA?
  4. ggunn


    Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Collapsing stereo to mono with a Y cable is generally not a good idea because it shorts the outputs of two amplification circuits together. It's usually better to just use one side. If the signal is the same or nearly so on both sides of the stereo, then the volume loss will be insignificant and/or easily compensated for at the PA input.

    The simplest thing would be to get a RCA to 1/4 inch adaptor plug (Radio Shack has them), plug it into the 1/4" input of a DI box and use a RCA patch cable to connect one of the RCA outputs to the adaptor. Don't use those el cheapo molded cables that are 1/4" on one end and RCA on the other; I've got a box full of failed cables like that (I'm a slow learner).

    If you really need both sides of the stereo signal, then DI both sides independently and blend them at the mixing board.

Share This Page