1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need really long scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, May 5, 2005.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm trying to make me an EUB, but i've got an issue: upright bass strings will cost me about the same price as it will to build the sucker. Standard bass strings are more affordable, and offer more options, but the scale options are limmited.

is there any brand that's good for a fretless bass that has a really long playable part of the string for super long scale basses?
    or simmilarly is there a set of strings for upright bass that isn't eighty bucks?

thanks for the help.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Whats the scale length? You might talk to Knuckle Basses and see what they use on their 39" scale electrics. You could also see if string manufacturer's would make you a custom set, but thats just as cost prohibitive as DB strings.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You're probably gonna have to bite the bullet. Check Knuckle bass, but also remember that a good set of UB strings will last you a good 10-20 years+.

4. Serious DB guys try $300 strings, decide they don't like them & sell them fairly cheap. I got a 4-string set for $35. I still need to pay $71(ouch)for a single B if I want to match the Corellis I already have.

5. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    that's probably a good point...

with any luck i'll talk to knuckle basses and if not i'll try and get used strings?

where would i find those?

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm check in the DB forum... someone's liablde to have something for sale there *smiles*

7. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    DR now makes strings that fit up to 40" scale basses.

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    woah woah!

that's like sweet sweet heroin to hear. what are they called?