Need reccomendations for home recording solutions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Hey. My band is in need of some decent equipment to record our demo. I currently have cakewalk studio 02. Will this be good enough or do you think it would be better to have a handheld recorder like the Boss BR 532 or the Korg PXR4? I heard these were good. Thanks

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Need more info.

How good do you need the quality to be?
    How many channels do you need?
    What's your budget?
    What type of i/o do you have to your computer?
  3. How good do you need the quality to be? Cd quality
    How many channels do you need? 4
    What's your budget? 400 or so
    What type of i/o do you have to your computer? I plug the amp/straight instrument into the mic port of my sound card
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    But how good is your sound card? Does it have 16 bit A to D conversion, do you know? The quality of your sound card is gonna make a big difference.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    One of the problems you will encounter with recording a band is the number of inputs. Most soundcards have stereo inputs and many 'Portastudios' have a max limit of two track recording. So you need to check the gear you intend to use for this or use a mixer (which causes some different problems) or record drums up (which is also problematic and gives a two mic limit).

If your demo is a 'give us a gig' one then you can record the instruments to stereo and overdub the vocals. If its a 'give us a deal' demo then you need to close mic the kit, seperate all the instruments etc. Yes I find it ironic that the demo seems to have to be the same quality as the single/album that the band are going for.
  6. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    I got the Boss BR-532 and it is pretty good. You only get two mirophone hook ins so me and my bro went out and bought a Mackie 6 channel mixer. We need the mixer for more than just more mic hook-ups so you might want to look into a Behringer mixer if you need more mic inputs. The quality is pretty good on it and the smartmedia card can hold a few songs or so. I prefer more hands on stuff like a recorder vs. a computer.

~Feel free to e-mail or I-M me at if you have any other questions.~
  7. From my experience, it makes a huge difference if you mic up the guitar amps rather than lining out into your computer. You can get an SM57 fairly cheap, and it's worth it.