Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Recomendation on 2 pedals: Chorus & EQ (Graphic is fine) But Need TRUE bypass!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Also looking to keep the price range under $200 for the both of em. - thats under $100 each.

I was thinking about Boss, but I now know they are a buffered bypass. I would like to preserve my passive tone when the pedals aren't being used.

anyone?

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you're not going to get a true bypass chorus and a true bypass graphic eq new for under $100 each.

Like basstyra suggested, get a loooper or a keeley looper, and put the pedals in that loop. When bypassed, the loooper and keeley looper are true bypass.

At a bit over $100, $120 maybe?, the mxr m-108 graphic eq is true bypass.

4. do you know if the EHX Small Clone is a True bypass ?

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the answer might be yes/no. EHX have in the last year or two started to make their some of their pedals (i.e. BMS) true bypass, prior to that they weren't. I don't know if they're doing this to all their pedals. Email them, they're usually fairly quick to respond.

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The USA one is I think, and maybe the Russian too now when I think about it.

7. if it is(awaing response), I'll go w/ the M-108 and the Small Clone

do degradation of signal when they are not on....

i mean, thats what this is all about right? I'm not going to loose any of my coveted passive tone with true bypass pedals?

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well it's completely the wrong price range but plug in an EBS chorus/flange before you buy something else. You might decide it's worth saving up for.

9. The Small Clone isn't TB, but it doesn't have to be because of the bypass system that it uses.

10. umm....... what? whats the diffrence?

11. is the Small Clone doesn't have true bypass, does anyone know of a chrus that is no more then $120 that has a true bypass?

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it it's a buffered bypass, those are generally ok but it's not the same thing. some pedals, such as fuzzes, have issues with buffered signals before them.

13. per ehx, its a buffered bypass.

now i'm not using a fuzz pedal or anything like that so It shouldn't really do anything to my tone, correct?

14. alright, well its down to the Small Clone or the Boss Super Chorus. (Or any chorus pedal in that price range)

which would you guys go with and why?

I'm of course looking for the most lush chorus effect possible.

15. I thought the Small Clone was an unbuffered bypass?

Basically;

True Bypass....the circuit is wired so that when in bypass the input signal is sent directly to the output jack.

Buffered Bypass....the circuit is wired so that when in bypass the input signal is sent to a buffer, then to the output jack.

Unbuffered bypass....the circuit is wired so that when in bypass the signal still goes through part of the circuit board before going to the output jack.

Older pedals tend to have unbuffered bypasses....and most of them tend to suck alot of tone. The Small Clone's bypass (I believe) doesn't suck tone because of they way it works. The dry signal is always sent strait to the output jack, the switch simply turns the wet (chorus) effect on and off.

Or atleast, that's what I remember it.....

To answer your other question.....the Small Clone is arguably ont of the deepest, lushest chorus available.

The Super Chorus on the other hand is very bright. It's designed to help a guitarist cut through alot of gain.