Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Recomendation on chorus $200 and under w/ True Bypass ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Sep 16, 2005.

1. So I was looking into boss pedals and others that were under $100.00, but It didn't look too promising to fine one w/ a true bypass at that price range.

Can anyone recomend a good chorus pedal, w/ True bypass under $200.00 ?

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you can up your budget to about $225, you can find the FullTone ChoralFlange -- my personal favorite -- available used.

3. is hardwire bypass the same as true bypass?

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
  5. aah, screw it, i just ordred the analogman clone chorus w/ deep mod!

Now I'm excited!

6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    In my opinion, you shouldn't care that much about true bypass. The TC Electronic Chorus is not true bypass, it's a killer chorus anyway, and the bypass is just perfect. ;)

7. I care more about my tone with the pedal off then on, and I do love my passive goodness. Only true bypass for me man!

I know sem buffered bypasses are good, but its just a piece of mind thing ya know.

8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Guess what is in your favourite amp ? Yes, yes, buffers...

Plus, with the length of cable, bass=>pedal=>amp, you may lose lots of tone with that. Considering your bass is passive... A buffer is an electronic device which reduce high end loss due to cable.

I use a boss LS-2 to bypass all my pedals. It's a buffered unit. Fet switching. You can trust me, I have NO loss with that. ;)

The thing is, you should trust electronics. And your ears. You know, you need electronics to amplifie your "passive" sound. In fact, no sound is passive, if you use an amplifier... :) You just can't avoid using electronics, and believe me, what you'll find in your amp is the same sort of things you find in a pedal.

Of course, I have pedals with horrible bypass. I modded them. But my TC, my Boss, my Jacques, have great buffered bypass.

9. I know there's great buffers out there and their purpose is to preserve the signal and so on. I use/used premium preamp pedals Sadowsky, Aguilar ect... all with a primary purpose in buffering the signal, among other things (bass/treble DI ect)

For some reason I alway go back to pure passive. I just prefer the passive signal into the head. (Yes, I know the head uses buffers) and what the amp does with the signal from the point it recieves it is fine with me. I just do like buffering the signal before it reaches the head.

Why? Again, I just prefer the passive tone. I'm only using 13ft of cable at max(Monster cable). 10ft going in, and 3ft comming out of this Chorus pedal I just orderd so I'm not really concirned with signal loss.
    Passive tone has always just had a rawness to it that I'm fond off. And I would like to perserve that passive tone as much as possible... so hence, true bypass.
    Its hard for me to appreciate the (what I percieve as high end boost/treble boost) that buffered systems add.

10. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    wise words man, shame some people need to spend double figures to sleep at night due to expensive pedal makers marketing ploys trying to justify their high prices! :scowl:

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1... I care mainly about whether the sound is affected / not affected when it's off, and even then a tone-sucking pedal is not necessarily ruled out if the pedal itself sounds great.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good point.

13. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    a true bypass is a true bypass is a true bypass
    people that play passive know about cable lengths and all that usually
    also consider if you use pedals after the buffered ones, it affects the tone in a big way (think fuzz face, woolly mammoth etc.)
    thats why i can´t use my bass paralooper for everything i´d like to, because the opamps in there already affect the signal that goes to the fx, so paralooper into fuzz factory sounds different (and thus worse, imho) than passive bass into fuzz factory.

cheers, lowstar (who installed a passive option into his amdlx jazz V just for woolly mammoth & friends)

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Yes, this input impedance issue is of course to consider. The Fuzz Face is known to hate buffers before it, for another example.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

No offense, but I'm not trusting you on that - I owned a Boss LS-2, and it was a tone-sucking monster. Try going back and forth with it in and out of your signal chain, you WILL hear a difference.

16. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I allready did. No differences to my ears, really.

17. So I wrote Dunlop about their MXR Chorus. - this is what they said. SHould we believe him? I though all "TRUE" bypass's had a slight pop when you engaged the pedal:

what do you guys think?
    --------------------email conversation below----------------​

Hello, Sir
    The M-134 is wired as a hardwire bypass. Which will help perserve your guitar tone.
    You shoud not be experience a pop when the unit is engaged.
    Thanks,

Anthony Ngo, Technical Support
    Dunlop Mfg. Inc. USA
    PO Box 846
    Benicia, CA 94510
    Phone: 707-745-2722
    Fax: 707-745-2658

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:45 AM
    To: Dunlop Customer Service
    Subject: M-134 Stereo Chorus

Does this unit have a True bypass? Will the pedal effect my tone at all when its not engaged? If so, I will hear a slight pop when I turn the pedal on and off, correct?

Best regards,

Modern Growl

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    MXR know what they are doing with pedals, there is no reason to disbelieve them.