Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need recomendations for 2nd cab to go with my 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zharlon, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I have a much loved ole 400+ gatherin dust in me basement..I sold the 4x10 I used with it thinking the money would be more useful to me than an unused eden in the basement....Instead I hedged my bet by jumping on a perfect condition MESA Desiel series 2X10, because it was available for CHEAP on ebay and then I would have at least SOMTHING to use with the 400+ if I ever had a use for it....

That being the background info, I had been using a lil GK 2X10 combo that has met my current needs perfectly(small combo jazz gigs, and other lower volume settings)....

PROBLEM: To my extreme gratification, I have an oppurtunity to play HEAVY music again with a band I just met, and now is the time to dust off the 400+....I like the 2x10 and want to add another cab, hoping to maximize what I can get outta the 400+ ....I don't know the specs on the different mesa 15's or if there would be a better mate to my Desiel 2X10 ( I have read things like bergs being POWER hungry, and stuff like that)

I am clueless what I should get...as I need volume and want to use just the 400+...Recomendations?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Any of the older style Mesa stuff is great. I've got a 2x10 and a 1x15, and they kick solid butt with a good tube amp. They can be found relatively easily and cheaply, and they are incredible cabs (especially the Road Ready versions). They can be a bit on the heavy side, but I think it's well worth the extra back ache.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Are Mesa cabs powerful enough for the M-Pulse 600? I just got mine and I'm using a Ampeg SVT-410HE with a SVT-115E and they're blabbering when I hit the low B using the power push settings when I go above the setting limit with master.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm, considering that Mesa made the MPulse, I think Mesa cabs would be just fine. Most Mesa cabs are rated at 400 watts and over, with a few exceptions here and there.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya but a lot of cabs can say they handle x watts, but that could be x watts at a frequency of 20,000 and anything below that will distort like crazy. I'm wanting to know if they will be able to handle low frequencies, speficially the Powerhouse 1000.

6. the powerhouse 1000 will take anything you give it(within reasonable e.q. settings) its the perfect match to the m-600 or 750 or 400+...if its the low b your worried about?, don't be,this cab can handle it,but you better eat your Wheaties,its a real beast. ;) back on topic...a mesa(or another good) 1x15 would work well w\a2x10 and your 400+

7. Zharlon

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Thanks for the previous replies.....I have been of the opinion that the best thing to go with the 2x10 would be another MESA 15 or some such....my thing is , I don't totally understand the percieved loudness/efficiency rating thing for cabs....I was hoping to fish for sombody with experience with a 400+ to tip me to sucsessful cab combinations....looks like so far the general feeling is "get another mesa that compliments the 2x10"....

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have to second this post. Get a Mesa Diesel or RR 1x15". They go real well with the cab you have. Be careful mixing other brands.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm picking up an old school Powerhouse 1000 this week... we'll see how it handles.

10. Zharlon

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Muchass Grassyass for the opinions....on these notes....

Anyone have or know where I can get me hands on an older 1x15 or 2x15 mesa?(I have cash ready!!RR or Desiel)

Carlito

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Possibly ebay, haven't seen any recently though.

12. ..I don't think you'll be dissapointed..BTW what are you powering it with?

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cheese and Rice this thing's HEAVY!!!!!
    I'm powering it through my Ampeg SVP-1500 and all of my rack goodies. I only played on it at our rehearsal location for a few minutes by myself after we unloaded it. Sounded better in stereo to me but it took most of the bridged power and seemed to laugh back at me..
    It seems to give a much fuller sound when I run it in stereo placing 380 some odd watts to the 15 and the 10's respectively. A more in depth opinion shall come in the next few days after I do a full rehearsal with the rest of the guys. Doesn't push the air of my Goliath Senior and Big Bertha together...but I really didn't expect it to. It does however seem to hold it's own quite well and although the weight is probably going to put me in a back brace...I am totally digging the fact that it's built into a road case!! :hyper:

14. yes they are heavy..especially the older ones,but that is one sweet cab,and tough as nails. wait till you use it on a gig and you'll really see it flex it's muscles..stand aprox. 15 feet from your amp or further if possible,the sound really blooms.the people in the back of the club will be crappin their pants...can you say brown noise :D .

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Keep us up on this. I want to hear your take on it. OK?

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You bet I will! ;)

17. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Just got a Mesa 400+ (Thx Mo'Phat) and can't wait to put it w/ the Powerhouse 1000.......so far I am totally impressed by Mesa with regard to both the Powerhouse AND the 400+...... 400+ is like playing a dream........ I'll know more after I do a gig next week with all of the Mesa gear.. :hyper:

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Small update (if anyone's actually interested),
    just had a full-on rehearsal with the guys and the combination of the Powerhouse 1000 and the Mesa 400+ just simply kills!
    I hooked everything up and was just amazed at the range of tones I got out of the rig. I was able to go from deep, smooth lows to rip your head off slap sounds with the pull of a knob..literally! The powerhouse cab is honestly worth it's weight to me, and that's a lot of weight. I hate hauling this thing around (def. a 2 person job) but when I played the entire rig yesterday at stage volume it really became clear to me that this is by far the best sound I have generated. First time all of the guys seriously complimented me on my sound. I was a bit reluctant to push the rig much being my first time using it and all...I was very modest with the settings and even so I noticed a lot of movement from the speakers in the cab. I'm used to speakers moving but these looked like they were gonna launch across the room! The cab never farted once, even with the speakers doing the tango inside the cab and this was at a pretty high audio level so that's where I marked my max levels for the thing. I'll give more info later in the week if it's wanted, got a couple of shows this weekend and I'm very anxious to finally, really, cut through the mix for once without a rack full of equipment!!
    Oh yeah...SVT's?? Bring em' on! :bassist:

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    IIRC A mesa 2X10 is 8 Ohms, you'd want another 8 Ohm cab then. I've owned 2 Mesa Diesel 2X15's, one was 4 and one was 8. Both sounded better than the newer cabs, and better than other brands' 2X15's.
    Also owned a Diesel Powerhuse 1000, it sounded good but just wasn't my tone. A 4 ohm cab. I seem to remember someone once talking about the PH, that inside the cab the drivers were all in the same "box" as it were, and might sound better if the drivers were in seperate compartments. In mine, each 2/10's had their own compartment, as did the 15. My 2X15's looked identical, except for the jack on the back, the 8 ohm cab only had 1 jack. I ended up selling the PH and the 8 Ohm 2X15, because to me the 4 Ohm 2X15 was the greatest thing ever, and running another cab with it just covered up its sound. It had a dark, low-mid heavy sound, but put out a surprising amount of highs. Inside this cab, each 15 had its own compartment. Seems to be quite a variety in cab construction for the old cabs, unless I have somehow managed to buy two used cabs that were professionally modified so well it wasn't discernable from a factory job. I'd imagine most music stores would frown on you taking apart a cab you might want to buy though. Of course speakers vary too, had a Diesel 4X10 with Eden's, had much more bass than I'd expected, and others with EV's and even unmarked speakers (these were in the 2X15 I cherished).
    Of course I eventually sold it too, to get something new. It's an illness.

20. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well, Only took me 3 gigs to blow the PH1000... Been playing it at a good volume with the 400+ (able to get a really great, grinding tone BTW) and last night I plug the 400+ into it, hit a low C, and the 15 just farts back at me. I roll the lows practically all the way off because I know it's gone but the show is just starting. I figure I can just run the mids/highs through it for monitor use and as soon as I hit the first note I feel heat on my leg and the hundred or so odd people in the crowd are pointing and going nuts, seems as though Mr. PH1000 decided to throw a few flames out as it died!! I'm not upset really about this, I've gone years without blowing a speaker, and when this one went, well, it went! The 10's still seem to be in good shape and given I got this cab used (previous owner was in a major act using this cab hard for a number of years) I really kind of expected it. Now can anyone tell me their best guess on the brand of drivers Mesa used in the first run of the PH series? This is an old PH cab and I wanna say I heard someone say they were using EV's before switching to what they use now. I'm thinking maybe an Omega Pro 15 from Eminence. 800 watt handling should be enough is what I would think. Thoughts? :help: