Need recommendation Battery amp for acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otto B, Sep 22, 2022.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    I need any recommendation on a battery power portable amp combo for an acoustic bass.

gtirard likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm sure someone will chime in with suggestions from Phil Jones Bass and maybe Acoustic Image too. I have the PJB Briefcase, but I've never set it up for battery operation, and I understand there are newer models that fit the bill more closely. Subbed for learnin'. :)

Killing Floor likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    [​IMG]

If your volume requirements aren't too great, PHil Jones Double 4 and any laptop battery charger that can put out 20V at > 4.5 amps. Be prepared to rob a liquor store or 2 to afford it.

4. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Also following, I've haven't seen a simple solution yet. I could use a battery powered amp once in a while, but I would prefer if I can also use it for other applications (home practice, travel, jams…)

This new product intrigues me a lot: it's a battery powered amp (8 hours of autonomy), and it's also a DI and audio interface, so it could be a great travel army knife (also has a phone out, aux in), I can see myself using it in a hotel for practice and recording on my computer, or for an outdoor jam. It's not a combo (just a head), but you it's so light and small you can stick it in any pocket, and if you pair it with this cab, you get a great 5 Kg travel rig. I just wonder why it's 50W RMS 4 ohms, it doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Danny C, el murdoque and DustyBottom like this.
  5. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Most likely it's battery life versus the small form factor. Even if you can squeeze more power (and the related heat dissipation) into that sized package, the battery life goes down fast. I think 50 watts was probably a good target for output power, but I bet they'll be popular as a headphone/practice amp if they're a decent price. Do we know what the MSRP for this is? Also, I wanted to download the manual but the link to it doesn't work. :(

gtirard likes this.
  6. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Phil Jones Double Four and laptop battery with my 30 person uke group for about 7 years playing my acoustic bass ukes. It has plenty of volume for most gigs. The battery slips into the carry handle, and it fits perfectly in an Arriba AC115 gig bag. To me the price price is worth it, by far.

Danny C and gtirard like this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Roland makes some battery powered amps. They run on AA batteries. Consider buying Eneloops and a charger.

The Cube Street RX is the smallest I would recommend. Choose this if small size and low weight is the priority. 2X8" speakers at 50W...IMHO it's probably closer to 12.5W.

The next is the BA330. This is about twice the size and weight of the Cube Street EX. 4X6.5" speakers at 30W and it's probably closer to 7.5W. I believe this one is louder and fuller than the Cube Street EX despite the lower power rating.

Both of these will sound like a PA cab more than a bass amp. The Micro Cube Bass RX sounds more like a bass amp, but the Cube Street EX is louder. Here is a comparison: NAD: Roland Cube Street EX-upgraded my Micro Cube Bass RX

Videos:

@brianrost has experience busking with the Cube Street EX and upright bass, and he recommends using a compressor and HPF to get maximum headroom.

If you already have a suitable amp, consider getting a pure sine power bank. I bought a Jackery 300 and it powers my series I GK 700RB/112 combo just fine. Here is the thread: Battery-Powered Mayhem! (Jackery 300)

You would need to spend a lot of money to get a battery powered amp that will outperform the Jackery and the GK. But if you just want something that is super convenient for sitting around the campfire with a couple of acoustic guitars, the Cube Street EX will be plenty.

Danny C, pasmithy and Peter Torning like this.
  8. I use a Roland KC-220 keyboard with my acoustic basses. It uses 8x AA batteries and features 3x line and a mic input. Output is 2x 20W if connected to power and 2x 10W in battery mode. It is more than loud enough to compete with a room full of other acoustic instruments and lasts for many hours.

Wasnex and thunesBARROW like this.
  9. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Been considering using my Quilter interbass and getting an external 24v rechargeable power source or 2. That will get me 33 watts into 8 ohms with my current cabs.

gtirard likes this.
  10. I also agree with @Wasnex comment, above, in respect of a sine-wave battery pack. I also use one and, from memory, it something like 500W. It does a great job in situations where it is difficult to access AC power - such as a recent performance by my wife and I at a graveside funeral. The power pack easily ran two amps and would have done so for a few hours, had that been necessary. If you go this way, make sure you buy PURE SINE WAVE. Some of the cheap models are not!

Wasnex likes this.
  11. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    This is my park bench busking rig. Works great. 4+ hrs and plenty loud.
    IMG_3356.JPG

Wasnex and Peter Torning like this.
  12. Is this for an acoustic bass guitar? If so, then most of the suggestions here will work.
    If it's for an upright bass, that pulse from the note attack will drain a battery very quickly unless you compress with very fast attack settings to hold it back.

13. bikemusic

bikemusic

Feb 6, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    This is my busking rig. Quilter Interbass into a 4ohm cab sounds like a 100 watt combo. Uses any 24v tool battery. Good for 4 plus hours. PXL_20220923_005410596.jpg

pasmithy, Peter Torning and Wasnex like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Another for PJB Double Four. Easy to get power for it.

15. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    It really depends on what you need it for.
    I've had the smaller Roland Cube Street for around 8 years or more and It has done duty at a lot of camping trips, backyard BBQ's, busking etc. Keeps up with a couple of acoustic guitars and vocalists easily enough. I'm sure the Cube Street EX would go deeper, but it's not absolutely necessary.

It is actually amazing how long the batteries last with 6AA (Eneloop) batteries easily outlasting the 15 hours they quote on their website. I always take a spare set of batteries on camping trips but have never needed them, even after four nights of jamming.

Edit:
    You are correct that the Cube Street does sound more like a PA than a bass amp. I was wondering how the Cube Bass sounds in comparison. If I were to buy one today I'd probably go that way but at the time the options of the Cube Street were more important.

Wasnex likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Totally agree.

I have only tried the Micro Cube Bass RX out in store. From what I remember it was about the same volume as the regular Roland Cube Street. IMHO loud enough to hang with a few unamplified acoustic guitars.

I have actually gigged with a pair of the regular Cube Streets. It was a holiday caroling gig for a very high ranking military member and a few of his staff. We were expected to get in and out super fast with no significant time for setup or access to power. It was sort of like a busking gig.

I think most people would have just done the gig purely acoustic. We used snare and high hat with brushes, bass, guitar, and vocals. I set the Cube Streets on the floor on each side of the band. Vocals and bass were run to both Cube Streets. Guitar was only run to the amp on his side of the stage. I used my Tacoma CB10. The guitar was electric.

I felt that one regular Cube Street was barely louder than my Tacoma, but two definitely made the sound fuller. The CB10 is loud for an ABG, but it does not put out very much low end, so running through the speakers was an improvement. I had to play with restraint to keep from causing distortion, so I would say the pair of Cube Streets were usable for bass, but barely. The vocals and guitar were plenty loud IMHO.

I believe the Cube Street EX is quite a bit louder than the regular Cube Street. The specs say it has 10X the power (50W), and it also has a pair of 8" woofers. I haven't tried this but I think if the bass player ran a Cube Street EX, it would balance pretty well against vocals and guitar running through a regular Cube Street.

The regular Roland Cube Street has been discontinued and an improved model has been introduced as the Boss Cube Street II. The Boss version retains a pair of 6.5" woofers, but the power is doubled to 10W.

BAG likes this.
  17. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    That's like asking us to recommend a colour. How many watts? Where will you play through it and what else will you be playing with? What's your budget?

18. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    I use a Hotone nano bass thunder as a preamp , and from the FX send to a DIY 20W class D power amp . PJB C2 cab or for considerably more volume , a 1x12 high sensitivity cab . Runs from a 2Ah drill battery for about 4 hours .
    Thread here
    My DIY battery amp / acoustic jam solution .

IMG_20220518_165324.jpg

Peter Torning likes this.
  19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    This looks like a killer rig capable of dethroning the Phil Jones D4 with laptop battery.

I'm also using the D4 with a dell laptop battery (which, on paper, is too weak but it works fine).

gtirard likes this.
  20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I had both the PBJ Double Four and the Roland Street Cube EX....I preferred the Street Cube for volume

Wasnex likes this.